Break-in period on new engine

I got a new Elantra about a week ago, it currently has around 300 miles on it. This weekend I have to take a trip of about 400 miles each way, mostly highway driving. I know the owner's manual says to keep speed
under 55 for the first 12000 miles, but this seems a little extreme to me, even when I test drove it the salesman insisted I take the speed up to 65 to see how it feels. By the time I actually leave on this trip I should have about 500 miles on the car, is that an adequate break-in to be able to drive at highway speeds without doing any damage to the engine? It hasn't used any oil and I'll stop and check it during the trip, but it certainly wouldn't be practical (or safe) to stay at 55 on the Interstate! Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

Perhaps you mean 1,200 miles rather than 12,000? I kept my revs between 3-4,000rpm for the first 1,000 miles, and did not use the cruise control either during this time. I also let my car idle for 5 minutes before driving off, and don't rev above 3,000rpm until the temperature gauge has reached the half-way mark.
I suspect other drivers do different things, and you may not get a consensus. Kind of like asking how frequently should oil be changed. *That* question often sparks off a heated debate.
IMO, warm up, don't over rev, and don't use the cruise until after the 1,000 mile mark.
Neil.
Thanks for the reply - and yes, I did mean 1200 miles not 12000 miles as the break-in period given in the manual.

**If it's mainly highway travel, try to vary your speed.
kaboomie

I did an oil and filter change at 300 on my Elantra when it was new, even though the service is called for more than that. The first run ins are the ones that generate a lot of swarf and other harmful metallic bits. Oil and filter change is cheap insurance.
. I also let my car idle for 5 minutes before

...That's interesting...In my Santa Fe manual it recommends NOT idling for more than 3 min. at a time during the 2000Km break-in period.... Len
le sighhhh , i wish we had a new car to break in =) ENJOY!!!!!! =)

....Ahhh....but at least if you don't have a new car to break in....you don't have to dispair at every little nick and scratch that you aquire.....I say this because I just got my first door ding/scratch at only 2000K! Len

has
In my Elantra the engine idles at around 1,250RPM at start up, and then settles down after a few minutes to 1,000RPM. It's at that point that I normally drive off. Whether this takes 5 mins or 3 mins I can't be sure, but I certainly don't just drive off from cold.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:44:58 -0400, "Neil"

IMO always warm a car up by gentle driving, not idling. Don't be afraid of taking it up to redline while breaking it in but don't do it too often. Vary the revs while driving but never labour the engine in too high a gear. i.e use a low gear for climbing hills. Unless you've got a dead flat highway don't use the cruise control at all. It's usually far more economical to be the judge of the throttle pedal yourself rather let cruise control drink megalitres going full throttle trying to keep to speed going up some hill.
To view the day to day life of a loser go here. http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/log/log.html