Broken Door Handles in 95-98 Accents..Common?

We have a 1996 that had a broken exterior door handle. The plastic cracked and the handle broke off at the hinge, forcing us to get a new one from ONLY the Hyundai dealers ( $50+ ), including installation.
Anyone else have this problem?
I don't recall this being terribly frequent, but I've seen it. Actually, the interior handles broke frequently-- they cracked around the retaining screw.
We have a 98 Sonata that's had this problem, and I asked about this on this forum last year. We've replaced the driver's door inside handle 4 times in 4 years and the passenger side door now needs to be replaced for the first time. We always assumed the breakdown of the plastic was caused by the high interior temperatures resulting from our living in the hot desert climate of southern AZ (we're near Phoenix), where interior temps. in the summer are often near 150 degrees even with the windows left slightly open. I change the handles myself because it costs WAY TOO MUCH to have it done by the dealer or a repair shop, and I view it as a task that is more than a pain in the butt type of job, but one that I'm willing to do to make it easier to manage financially. Lee
"N. Suburbs Ranch 4 Sale" wrote: > We have a 1996 that had a broken exterior door handle. The > plastic > cracked and the handle broke off at the hinge, forcing us to > get a new > one from ONLY the Hyundai dealers ( $50+ ), including > installation. > Anyone else have this problem?
Yes I have one now as we speak it is the exterior handle on the rear passenger side door. It is a pain in my neck really. It really cost you 50+ to have it repaired? Wow!! Good luck with the rest of them. Oh yeah mine is a 96 Accent