Burning smell from front of car (02 elantra GT)

Hello all, I have a burning smell comming from me driving the car (when I get out of the car after a drive I notice it). It has 83K miles on it and
the timing belt still has not been changed. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
-assad

Burning smell takes in a lot of possibilities. Could be oil dripping on the exhaust manifold, could be a belt ready to let go, Could be an electric fan motor burning up, wires touching something hot,.
Agreed. Was vague. Ok, so looks like no oil dripping on the manifold.
Belts look fairly old. Have not changed the timiing belt (could it be that?)
how would I check for: electric fan motor burning up? wires touching something hot?
should I be checking for anything else?
At 83K what should be expected to be going from a 02 elantra?
Thanks.
-assad
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

caught a shopping back on your catalytic converter? those can smell for awhile until they melt away.

be
the
fan
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Then replace them.

No, not likely, but you're risking destroying your engine by not changing it. Letting it go is false economy at best.

Nothing in particular. A "burning smell" doesn't tell us much, as there are many types of burning smells. It could be a dragging brake pad, burning wiring, a belt rubbing on something, etc. It sounds like you're not keeping up with the maintenance on the car. I'd say it's time to get caught up on what you've neglected to do. If nothing else, that will eliminate some possible sources of the smell.
you seem to be awful concerned about the timing belt causing the burning smell.
your best bet would be to have a mechanic take the belt off and inspect it thoroughly, and then replace it with a new one, since you are driving on borrowed time right now.