Buying a new Tucson - NOT

Hi everybody,
I know that this newsgroup is predominantly US contributors and a few from the UK Australia and New Zealand...and maybe Hyundai Australia monitor this
newsgroup.
Well yester day I went into the local dealer to trade in my 2007 2.7L V6 Tucson on a new one and they said " No...there are no longer any Tucsons coming to Australia and they hadn't seen a V6 for over 6 months." AND the proposed replacement would ( might) be here in April 2010 and may cost $8000 more than the present(?) Tucsons. Still couldn't even tell me if there was going to be a diesel option. WTF is going on?
They tried to flog me a Santa Fe R Series but I looked at the price and didn't feel it was value for the money....plus they didn't even have one on the floor or owned by the staff that my wife and I could look at.
So sadly after enjoying my experience with my Tucson I went to the Suzuki dealer down the road and the wife liked the Suzuki Grand Vitara. The deal offered was great so we signed a contract to buy one.
Hyundai just lost a customer who was extremely happy with their vehicles and no doubt there will be more......
Neville Queensland Australia
--- ---
Neville MADDEN wrote:

I just looked at the Hyundai USA website and they show the 2009 model, but no 2010 for both the Tucson and the SantaFe. They do show the higher price Veracruz as a 2010 though. They seem to sell a lot of the Tucson and would seem silly to drop them.

Google Hyundai X35 for the Tuscon replacement. Hope you enjoy the GV more than my neighbours (who now own a Ford Focus) did theirs.
Steve Newcastle NSW Aust
Neville MADDEN wrote:

I can't speak for Australia, but in the US we are about to get a newly designed Tucson that is coming out as a late 2010 model. I was at my local Ford/Hyundai dealer yesterday to test drive the Ford Edge as I had just test driven the Chevy Equinox and Traverse and wanted to compare what Ford had to offer. He had no Edge's in stock, but said I might want to wait 2-3 weeks as he expected his first shipment then of the new Tucson. He showed me pictures of it such as shown here: http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1034591_first-drive-2010-hyundai-tucson
He said it is supposed to have a direct injection 4 cylinder much like the Chevy Equinox and thus get better mileage. I don't know if it will match the Chevy though, which is very impressive for an AWD vehicle (20/29 US EPA ratings). I'm not in a hurry to buy and the Chevy dealer is having a hard time getting Equinox vehicles and seemed unwilling to deal since it is currently so popular. So, I will wait to see what the new Tucson is like.
As an aside, and I realize this is a Hyundai NG, but I was absolutely impressed with the new Chevy Equinox and Traverse. I don't need the size of the Traverse and want better fuel economy than my current Grand Caravan delivers. And the AWD is nice as I live on a hill in the boonies. The Equinox is an excellent vehicle that is well-designed and drives very nicely. I drove the 4 cylinder and it has plenty of power with the new direction injection Ecotec 2.4L engine. And getting highway mileage that is close to my Sonata is icing on the cake!
However, I will wait to see how the new Tucson compares. I like the styling of the Equinox better than what I see in the pictures of the Tucson, but will wait to see one in person.
Matt

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1034591_first-drive-2010-hyundai-tucson
I bought a new Tucson Limited, and love it.... Barry Austex
Barry wrote:

2009??

Barry wrote:

Is this the new design? Your dealer must be ahead of mine as mine is still awaiting his first delivery of the new model.
Matt
Barry wrote:

What other vehicles did you test drive to compare against the Tucson?
Matt
Barry wrote:

I'm impressed. None of the other dealers have them yet and the Hyundai web site does not show them as being on sale yet.

We received one at my place of employment last week. As far as I can tell, all being released at this time have the 2.4L Theta four cylinder with a 6-speed automatic transmission. The online service manual also has information for a 2.0L. We'll see whether it's forthcoming (or not).
hyundaitech wrote:

Is the 2.4L a direct injection design?
Is the 2.0L gas or diesel? Is it direction injection if gas?
The web sites lists a 6-speed manual transmission as well.
I'm still waiting for one to arrive at my local dealer in upstate NY.

**A fully-loaded Tuscon just arrived at my local northwest CT dealership. Dad saw it when he went in to work this morning, he said it was around $28K. It was black with duel sunroofs. He also added: It was gorgeous :)
kaboomie
kaboom wrote:

Yeah, I can imagine fighting over them.

**Har ;) Dual!
kaboomie

The 2.4 is direct injection.
According to the shop manual, the 2.0 is simply a smaller version of the 2.4, so I expect that would be direct injection, too, presuming they even have 2.0L models for sale in the U.S.
Voyager wrote:

The first 2010 Tucson arrived yesterday and the dealer gave me a call. I took a quick look this morning (it was pretty cold and the car was snow covered so I didn't look long) and it seems very small to me compared to the Equinox. I'm guessing maybe the Santa Fe is more size comparable to the new Equinox, but is also price comparable so it looks like the Chevy is actually a pretty good deal.
I will drive the Tucson, but am not interested in the Santa Fe as I both find it ugly and don't like the poor fuel mileage. However, first glance suggests that the Tucson is just too small and the styling didn't do much for me either, unfortunately.
Matt
I saw my first 2010 Tucson on a city street today. Very nice looking, albeit somewhat Honda CRV looking, especially from the grille.