Cabin Air Filter

Has anyone with a early 2003 Sonata (built pre 3/29/03) changed their cabin air filter? I just tried today and could not get the nut off of the stud behind the glove box latch. I had no trouble removing the glove box itself but this is when I tried to remove the glove box housing. I am using the instructions in TSB 03-97-002. It states earlier that the screw heads on the glove box is 10MM, but for this nut it does not specify. Its recessed up in there and can not be reached or turned with a wrench. Only a socket wrench with an extension can get in there. I think that its 10MM, but not sure. I tried a 10MM socket, but I think I need a deep socket because when I put the extension on the socket, there's not room because of the stud sticking up into the socket. Has anyone done this and remember if its a

10MM deep socket required? Or if someone has access to any schematics that would show the nut size I would appreciate any assistance. I am prepared to go out and buy the deep socket 10MM but want to make sure that's what I need. Thanks
Reply to
Partner

It's definitely 10mm. Try putting the socket on the nut first and just inserting the extension a little into the socket. This may give you the extra room you need.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I tried that old trick but it didn't work. It seemed like it kept slipping, that why I wasn't sure it was 10MM. I'll buy a deep socket now. thanks again HT.

Reply to
Partner

Did you buy it yet? I found one source for the cabin filter for my Sonata that wants $29.95! I wonder what the dealer wants. That's a lot of money for what? A nice smelling interior and relief from pollen.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I got to the cabin filter. The deep socket 10MM was what I needed. But it was tight, I had to put pliers on the nut driver to loosen the nut. That's why I could not get it off with the short socket. You don't need to pay $30 for a replacement. Just buy a $4 furnace filter and cut it to fit the frame once you have cut the old filter (fabric) out of it. There's enough to do two cabin filters if you get a large one.

Reply to
Partner