Calling diesel heads

My wife has an Hyundai Accent 1.5 Diesel 2002 model. Shortly after buying it, it would not start for me when I left work. I cranked it 4 or 5 times and got nothing. I went back into my office, left it ten
minutes, went back out and it started as if nothing had happened.
That was quite a few weeks ago. Yesterday my wife was out in the car and on leaving the local Tesco it would not rev. The throttle pedal did nothing. She called the RAC who came out and basically fiddled about and the car start revving again and carried on as if nothing had happened. The RAC man said that he had hadn't actually done anything to get it going again.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? While on the subject, what's the best way to change a diesel fuel filter? I've heard bad things about disturbing a diesel's fuel supply and setting up airlocks which I think changing the fuel filter is kind of going to do.
I get 37-40 MPG with my 2000 Accent 3door gas model. I used to have a Nissan King Cab Diesel 1982 model that got 50MPG.What kind of milage are you diesel Accent guys getting? Wish we could get em here
Well my Sonata runs about 37 m/gal over the year
Daisy
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Final
As for the hard starting problems, does it have glow plugs or a grid preheater ? You may not be getting enough preheat. Diesels don't like cold engines. If it was anything else most likely it would not start at all.
Changing fuel filters, Before putting the new filter on, fill it with clean diesel fuel then after installing, if it is a indirect injection engine bleed air from a fitting usually located on the injection pump. On direct injection engines usually there is a button near the injection pump called a priming pump or lift pump keep pushing until there is alot of resistance that will prime the injection pump. Any remaining air should bleed thru the injectors.
Remember filters on a diesel are the most important PM item !
I changed filters on different diesels from 3 cyl 29 hp farm tractor to 4000 hp 20 cyl MTU diesel generators.
2002 model would most likely be a turbo direct injection with a priming pump.
Striker....

Maybe Hyundaitech can put a good word in and get us some diesels in the US.....
Turbodiesel Santa Fe - Now that's something Hyundaitech can't wait to work on : )
The bigger the diesel the bigger the hernia !!!!!
Striker...