Camshaft Gear replacement question

Hello...

I have to replace the front Camshaft Gear/sprocket(the one that the Timing Belt rides on) for a 99 Sonata 2.5 v6. How do I get the bolt off?... The old gear, all the spokes broke, but I was able to mark the timing on what is left. Is it mounted on a gear for the cam? I didn't want to do more damage, so I thought I'd check.

Would the dealer have this item in stock, or am I better going to hyundaipartsonline.com?

By the Way, I broke the sprocket/gear accidently while I was trying to get the crank pully off for my timing belt project (I tried air wrench, and I ended up puting something between the spokes on one of the upper gears(sprockets) and the spokes broke on it...aw man!) So, everything is back together as far as I can go now (timing tensioner, water pump, idler and tensioner pully... water back in the radiator, etc...) I just have this one thing to replace now before I can finish up. I know, stupid move, now I've learned.

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper

Do I need to pull the cylinder head in order to get the old sprocket off/ and install the new one? If so, do I need a new head gasget to put on when I bolt back up?

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper

OK, per the repair manual, I would have to remove the valve cover, and NOT the whole head (am I right in reading it that way?). Would I have to replace the valve cover gasget if I do this?

When I install the new sprocket, How do I know where to align the timing mark (it is in a certain position now). Will the sprocket only fit on the end of the camshaft one way (in a cerain timing position?)

Or can I get away with not taking the cover off to replace the gear/sprocket?

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper