Can't Get Drum Over Brakes

Went to change brakes 2day...only got to driver's side. First of all, only one brake drum had worn down......the other one was almost brand new. Now that I've changed the brakes on that side I can't get the drum to fit over the brakes. Both sides of the cylinder looks to be all the way in on both sides. Looks like it might be hitting the compressed bearing that's in the wheel. Is this normal? What can the problem be why it won't go on?? Thanks.

Reply to
Hurricane1000

Sorry......Rear brakes on '95 Elantra

Reply to
Hurricane1000

It sounds like you've got the wrong brake shoes.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The brakes are already on. The inside bearing is what's preventing the rotor to go on. I even took the rotor and tried to put it on the side I didn't do yet and it's doing the same thing. Just curious if you can take that inside bearing off and put it on after the rotor is put on or another solution. Thanks.

Reply to
Hurricane1000

I assume you mean "drum", not "rotor". When you install the drum, rotate it as you put it on and it should pop right over the bearing. If it doesn't it's not aligned right. Did you take off the inner bearing? If so, did you reinstall it backards perhaps? The narrow end should be pointing outward. If the bearing will come off the axle readily, yes, you can install the inner bearing in the drum and put it on. Make sure that the bearings are both clean and well greased with wheel bearing grease before installing the drum.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Sorry about the delay. This is my third attempt at posting this. The others remain uncolored in my recent post list, having yet to actually be posted.

Your inner bearing and seal should stay in the drum when you remove the drum. Check the bearing inner race and spindle for any burrs or deformities and smooth out as necessary. Often, reinstallation requires a significant amount of finesse (not force).

Reply to
hyundaitech