Can XG350 crank and cam position sensors be tested with multimeter or scope?

XG350 ran 50 miles after new timing belt installed, now won't start: no spark. Suspect crankshaft position sensor, but would be nice if I could verify before replacing it. The manual shown it as a simple variable
resistor with the wiper being the sensor output and the other 2 terminals connected to +12 volts and ground. Looks to me like maybe a DVM on ohms might show something?
Thanks
Dan
That diagram is definitely misleading. It's a hall effect sensor. Check for battery voltage and ground in the pink and black wires of the connector, respectively. If that's okay, reconnect, probe the yellow wire, and crank the engine. Also check the three wires in the sensor end of the connector with your ohmmeter. There should be no continuity between them and ground while the connector is unplugged. You should get a square wave. While your DVM won't show you a square wave, I would think you could check with the frequency and a/c volt scales to verify that something is actually occurring.