car shakes

Hi I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent that has started to shake when I reach speeds of 65mph and stops at about 73 or 74 mph. This started when we had a flat driver's side tire. Our muffle just went bad and while the mechanic had the car we asked him to check out the shaking. He said he noticed it but that we need new tires and that would take care of that. Before we go out and buy new tires though I want to make sure that's all it could be. If anyone has had a similar problem your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Reply to
teri

Without checking the front end, the only thing I can do is take an educated guess. Chances are, it's tire imbalance. You can get it balanced for a few bucks and ease your mind.

If the shaking worsens, even a little, it's more likely to be something loose in the front end. In that case, you need to get it checked out pronto.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I'll weigh in with Bob that the first thing to look at is wheel balance. Did you put a spare tire on when you had the flat, or get the tire repaired? Either way, like Bob says, it only costs a few bucks for tire balancing. If you haven't had it done since you got the car (new?), then it would be very advisable to have it done.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Shimmy at one certain speed but not at others I have observed to often be tire balance. Sure, get the front end and struts checked - don't they have annual state safety inspections where you live btw ? - but you youself know how the tires look, and how many miles on them. If you need tires, you could still need some else as well of course. Miles on car and tires????

Reply to
Darby OGill

I had the same problem and new wheel balancing and rotation took care of the issue. Cost me $35.

Tom

Reply to
pm4hire

Reply to