CAUTION: Parking your Hyundai on the grass during extended rainfall

Im sharing this to caution you about parking your car on the grass during an extended rainfall.

Statistics : 2002 SantaFe , 2.7 litre, 36,000 miles. Almost full tank of gasoline.

It rained fairly steady for the past two days where i live in Northern Illinois and i had parked my SUV on some fairly tall (6" high) grass . After the rain had ended, i went to start the SUV and it cranked fine but did not start, nor did it sound like it was firing (I didnt touch the gas pedal) . I tried it a couple more times to no avail. Popped the hood and had a look around, nothing looked abnormal. I waited another 15 minutes and it still didnt fire yet still cranked fairly fast. I tried it a total of about 10 times before i gave up and called Hyundai Roadside Service toll free phone number. Within 30 minutes, they had a local Tow Truck at my house. I explained what i did so he gets in the SUV and tries cranking it...and after about 2-3 seconds...it fires up ! I was numb ! It blew some black smoke out the tailpipe for a few seconds. We let it run for 5 minutes then shut if off and tried restarting it. It fired right up.

He told me this : 'Sometimes when you park a car on the grass when it has rained heavily for some time, it will affect the ignition system and you can flood the engine ; dont park on the grass unless the conditions are dry outside' .

I found this pretty hard to believe as i was sure i had parked on the grass before during rain... and was sure there was something still wrong with the SUV...perhaps an intermittent problem still lurked. So, after he left, i took it for a 30 minute spin to see if it was going to act up , and, if it would restart. I had no problems and havent 2 days since.

If HyundaiTech is reading this, could you please shed your thoughts on this situation described ? Have you experienced this with Hyundais ? Thanks.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up so you can take the necessary precautions.

Dave

Answers for Atheists : Address:

Dave in Lake Villa

why parking on grass in heavy rainfall causes starting problem

  1. Green chlorophyll molecules stick to solenoid in hyper-moist climate
  2. A typical trick by the mischievous gremlins at
  3. Prank by Fescue Dept at Seoul Agriculture & Mechanical University--hahaha
  4. Hey, if ya don't like it, then next time get a GM Humvee with extended warranty
6.--1. If no help here, try Tom 'n Ray at "Car Talk" > Im sharing this to caution you about parking your car on the grass
Reply to
Robert Cohen

HMMA must not be worried too much about this: they've got thousands of Santa Fe and Sonatas parked in unpaved dirt and grass lots behind the factory.

Dave > He told me this : 'Sometimes when you park a car on the grass when it

Reply to
PMDR

The tow driver has *no idea* what he's talking about. There was some problem with the vehicle that's gone now.

Did it crank faster than normal or just normal speed?

Reply to
hyundaitech

'The tow driver has *no idea* what he's talking about. There was some problem with the vehicle that's gone now. Did it crank faster than normal or just normal speed?'

REPLY: It cranked over at normal speed each time i tried it (about 10 different times total). Did not fire . What do you make of this ? Did the moisture on the ground have anything to do with it ? Id really like to get a rational explanation to what happened as im really shocked about it. Its been fine ever since .

Dave

Answers for Atheists : Address:

Dave in Lake Villa

I'd suspect an intermittent crank sensor failure or something similar.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ok. Will keep and eye on it. Has started right up ever since parked on the driveway. Thanks.