CD Player Mounting

I installed a Pioneer DEH-P3700MP using the mounting kit from Crutchfield that it came with, which looks fairly cheap and has a less nice "pocket" underneath. I was looking, at it seems like I should be
able to just install it like the previous unit I had (they're BOTH the same size.. i previously had the hyundai fm/am/cd).
Has anyone installed a basic aftermarket stereo the normal way, and skipped using the whole mounting-kit on a 05 Sonata? I don't like the cheap plastic mounting kit's "pocket" :/

Heck - just go for it. How long can it take to throw it in and find out? Then... you can post to everyone here whether it worked or not and become an enlightening factor.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You sound like me. That's a scarey thing. But - I do know what you mean about it being a pain to reset the favorites after.