CEL and ESC

This morning I started the car with the remote and went out and put the key in a procedure I've done hundreds of times.

This time, however, the Check Engine Light and the Elelectronic Stability Control light remained on.

The car drove, but very slow, I think it is a safe mode of some sort. Maximum RPM was about 1200. I drove around the block, came home and parked on the street and shut the car off. I restarted the car and it is now back to normal except the CEL is still on. Drives fine and the ESC light is off.

Here's what I think may have happened. Last night I drove home in a slushy wet and slippery snow. The ESC was never engaged, but the ABS did a couple of times. I parked the car and, of course, the temperature remained below freezing. Something may have frozen or otherwise affected the wheel sensors for the ABS and ESC. The short drive was enough to free it up.

My question though, would that put the CEL on? I'm also assuming it has to be reset with an instrument by a repair shop or possibly the auto part store.

Any other ideas?.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Only time I had the CEL come on was with a loose gas cap. I removed power from the battery for a minute or two. Light went away.

Reply to
Jim

I may give that a try after checking the manual for what I may lose in memory, if anything.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Follow up:

Same problems this morning. Evidently there is more than just a slush factor going on so I'll take it in the shop this week.

One thing I did notice, the brake pedal seemed low when I put my foot on it to put it into gear. After driving, it was back to normal and the ESC light went off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If this is a 2006 or newer Sonata (which it is if my memory is correct), I'd guess a faulty throttle position sensor or accelerator position sensor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You guessed right. Dealer fixed it promptly. They also took care of the recall while there and even washed the car before returning it. Hyundai, and the dealer, seem to really want to make customers happy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski