Check engine light

I have had my engine light turn on this week. When I checked it with an OBDII tester it told me I have an "Engine coolant temp circuit malfunction."
Any help on what this is would be appreciated.
Check for the following: --Low coolant --Thermostat stuck open/closed --Poor contact at temperature sensor --Inaccurate reading from temp sensor.
You'll probably need a scan tool to effectively check the bottom items. If you don't find anyting in the first two, you could try replacing the temp sensor yourself. That's probably about the same cost as taking it in to have it checked.
Also, let me know what year and model your car is. That will help me give you info about likelihood of different failures.