Check engine light 2002 accent

Help!!!!!!!!!!

My check engine light came on today. I was out in the car earlier and it was fine,now the light is on and has not shut off. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Mary

this is not the oil light, you can still drive. this is the emissions control system light telling you that an exhaust / pollution control component has failed. see my posts for 2001 hyundai accent, in this newsgroup. you can take this to a mechanic (not the dealer hopfully) to plug in the electronic monitor. this tells you which components have failed. dont panic, your car is not doomed. its ok to drive till you get it fixed, in fact you can usually go OK till your next smog check without any worries of engine failure.

ask hyundaitech for help, in this newsgroup. hyundaitech is the coolest tech on earth. this tech helps anyone, like superman.

of course i will never be as smart as hyundaitech, or as cool.

Reply to
mykeymykey01

appreciated.

First, and easiest thing to check - is your gas cap on properly? Did you fill up with fuel today? If so, take your gas cap off and put it back on properly - three clicks. It can take a few start-up clycles and some driving to clear the check engine light when this is the cause, so don't expect an immediate change. If the check engine light does not go off by later this week - take it to a competent mechanic and have the car scanned for codes.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I am going tomorrow to get a mechanic friend to check out the code. God I hope it nothing big!!!!

Reply to
Mary