Check Engine Light

On my 2010 diesel Sonata on two occasions about 500 km in a 700 km trip the "check engine light" starts flashing. Stopping and checking oil/coolant/anything loose shows nothing. Car running perfectly , no smoke,
no odd noises, temp good. I,ve unscrewed fuel tank cap after stopping ( hearing a blocked valve somewhere can cause problems as tank empties) and light stays on but not flashing. After another two hours or so of running light goes out. As well as the obvious question (whats going on?), does an error code stay after check engine lamp goes out to allow it to be read?. What parameters does the check engine light sense? Any info much appreciated. John

The cars I had problems with were older, so I'm not sure if this can affect yours BUT my 03 Elantra GT and my wifes 2005 Elantra GT both always had the light go on regarding the gas cap. Sounds very similar to yours but again, I can't say. My 07 Elantra SE also had the problem once or twice, but not often like the others. Usually it was shortly after getting gas. Take the cap off and replace, and eventually it went away for awile. Good luck.
Thanks for that. I,ve got it booked into a mechanic to do a scan so I,ll post it when I find out.
"jtees4" wrote in message wrote:

The cars I had problems with were older, so I'm not sure if this can affect yours BUT my 03 Elantra GT and my wifes 2005 Elantra GT both always had the light go on regarding the gas cap. Sounds very similar to yours but again, I can't say. My 07 Elantra SE also had the problem once or twice, but not often like the others. Usually it was shortly after getting gas. Take the cap off and replace, and eventually it went away for awile. Good luck.

Wow, expensive part. That really sucks. I know nothing about diesel and had to look it up. I see aftermarket economy for ts for $800+ and of course they still need to be installed.