Check Engine light after starter replacement

A friend of mine replaced the starter in my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 L AWD a few days ago. Since he did the replacement, the check engine light has been on.

I am assuming that it went on due to the battery having been disconnected or whatever, and I am guessing that the computer will just re-set itself over time.

Am I right about that, or should I go to an AutoZone store or wherever and have them do the free check for the error code(s)?

Thanks.

Reply to
TomR

I'm not a mechanic and could be wrong, but in the past I used to disconnect the battery to TURN OFF code lights to see if they would come back on. So I think you should get the code checked out. Good luck.

Reply to
jtees4

Something is wrong. Have it checked out.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Ok, will do -- especially since the check engine light is still on. I'll post back what I find out.

Reply to
TomR

Error Code: P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

Code P0335 indicates a fault in the Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time.

I'll have to research what all of that means.

My car does seem to have low power -- meaning limited power on acceleration.

Reply to
TomR

If the sensor is not working properly your car will usually go into "safe mode" meaning you can still drive but with limited power. It seems to be a common fault on newer cars of all brands.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Might want to check the cps wires and plugs.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Thanks Ed and Paul.

Now I am trying to figure out exactly where the crankshaft position sensor is located on my vehicle and what is involved in replacing it myself or having it replaced. When doing Internet searching, I am not completely clear about that. I found a couple of YouTube videos with one describing a

2.7L engine and one describing a 3.5L (I have a 3.5L). I seem to be seeing different locations for the CPS on the videos. One describes taking the starter off to get to the CPS and replace it. That's interesting because the check engine light came on immediately after I had a friend replace the starter. So, maybe he moved or damaged a CPS wire or connection accidentally in the process. Another video shows it located away from the starter on the other side of the vehicle.

If I get a chance, I am going to try taking the engine cover off today and see if I can locate the CPS etc.

Also, one of the YouTube videos describes how to test and check the CPS wires etc., but I don't know if I will try that on my own or not.

When I search for the part -- the CPS -- I see widely varying prices. For example, AutoZone has one for $51 and one for $116.

My vehicle is a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L AWD.

Here are the 3 YouTube videos that I found so far:

TomR

Now it is making more sense. I was wondering why replacing the starter would set the CEL off. Yes, I'd check to see if it is something simple like a nicked wire or bad connection.

I'd start with the starter. Well, not really. I find it easier to write a check than to change a starter these days. I did add some windshield washer fluid last week though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No one seems to know. My guess is that that sensor by the starter is for the 2.7L and the 3.5L uses the sensor on the front of the engine.

Paul in Houston TX

I know what you mean. May take my 2006 Elantra to the auto repair place to have the timing belt changed. It looks easy but I am tired of working on cars. And besides, it's hot out, over 100F every day. And there are swarms of mosquitoes, probably all carrying tropical diseases.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I agree. I am not too interested in doing it myself and would rather just write a check to have it done for me. But, I like to try to get an idea of how easy or involved the job really is first. So, I'm probably going to do a little more investigating on my own first to figure out exactly where the CPS is located on my vehicle.

Reply to
TomR

I am still investigating, but it is starting to look like the CPS is different for the 2.7L vs. the 3.5L. I always thought the 2.7L and 3.5L were basically the same engine but with one having a larger "bore"(?) or something like that. Since I have a 3.5L, the one for sale on eBay that you found appears to only be for the 2.7L.

Once I locate my CPS on the 3.5L, I'll probably go to a dealership and ask about the part and the cost and make sure that I know which one to get.

If I do get this figured out, I'll post back here what I find out.

Reply to
TomR

I still change disc brakes, but not much else these days....since cars turned into computers.

Reply to
jtees4