Check Engine light at 36000 miles

My '04 Sonata hit 36,000 miles today, and when it did, my Check Engine light came on (Not sure if it was exactly at 36000) When I noticed the light, I had 36,003 miles.

Is this normal and will it go out on it's own, or is this yet another trip to the Hyundai dealer, and if I do need to go to the dealer, is it something that is covered under warranty?

Reply to
me

It isn't normal. I don't know of any MIL code that is mileage based. Something is amiss, but the only way to know is to read the code. Since the car is under warranty, I'd suggest having the dealer read the code.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Did you recently put gas in your truck?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Definitely not normal. If it's something that's defective, it should be covered by your warranty-- I cannot think of any maintenance related issues that would cause the lamp. On the other hand, if the car has been damaged in some way or you (or another person) did something that caused the lamp to illuminate (such as leaving the fuel cap loose), the problem wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Either way, if the problem goes away, the lamp should eventually turn off. But, if you've not done anything that could cause the lamp to come on (or if you're unsure), you should definitely take it in. If it's warrantable, the dealer should be happy to repair it and bill Hyundai.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If you recently filled up and then the light came on and otherwise the car is fine. I would tighten the gas cap and give it a few days.

It's happened to me three times since Nov.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

What part of installing a gas cap don't you understand? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've never seen a car before where the Check Engine light was so touchy.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Then you haven't drove a Chevy lately.

JS

Reply to
JS

I haven't drove one lately, but I've driven one lately. I drive a Chevy quite often as I own a K1500 pickup. And I get Chevy and Pontiac cars often as rentals on business trips. I've never had a light come on due to the fuel cap. It really isn't hard to put a fuel cap on correctly. If it is cross threaded, it is pretty easy to feel that. And the new "quarter turn" caps make it even harder to get it wrong.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Loose gas cap causing "check engine" ?? what's next, cigarette lighter not properly pushed in???damn

Reply to
Deck

It's been that way for a few years on almost all cars.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The gas cap is an emissions related item from the Feds perspective. The cigarette lighter isn't, but should be! I'd rather smell gas any day than a cigarette.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Those of us who know how to screw in a gas cap wouldn't even know that!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Which presumes that the rest of us don't? Here's to hoping you never find yourself fallen prey to a simple mistake.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sorry, but I just can't imagine being unable to screw in a gas cap properly, unless you are 90 and have severe arthritis. And when the one poster said he'd mess it up 3 times in a fairly short time span, that is simply ridiculous.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

A few months ago my extended warranty company rented me a Grand Am for almost a week. The "CHANGE OIL SOON" light came on about 30 seconds after starting the car, extremely annoying at night, and the oil had just been changed (and was light and clear) before I picked it up. Checked the manual, it explained how its a completely automatic sensor, not just a mileage counter anymore. Guess its another piece of high quality Chinese-built GM electronics. ;)

(Now ex-)Girlfriend had a 95 Crapalier that she managed to wreck before any of the GM dealers had even heard of Dexcool yet. They refilled with normal green stuff... 20k miles later every 'soft' part in the cooling system started failing repeatedly. Heater cores, water pumps, head gaskets... Thousands of dollars pissed away in an entirely lousy vehicle. Nobody wants to mention mixing dex-cool and regular antifreeze makes a strong acid, they just "suggest against mixing due to unpredictable performance". Is it any wonder why GM can't sell cars?

There are two Santa Fes in my driveway, an 01 and 03, with a total of

180k miles on the pair, and neither one has ever had the CEL lit except for the normal flash when starting up. We've poured a lot of gas into them over the years, so if it was anal about the gas cap I'm sure I would have found out by now (I'm not the only one that pumps gas on these cars...)

My 99 Dodge 1500 won't fire a CEL with a completely clogged cat and the front oxygen sensor disconnected and sitting in the passenger seat (absolutely clogged cat, drove 17 miles to the dealership that way, in

5th just a hair off idle it'd do about 37 mph). I've driven it >100 miles non-stop with the fuel cap off without the CEL going off... It will throw a CEL if the fuel tank purge solenoid is disconnected, but it doesn't throw a CEL if you disconnect the vacuum hose for the tank vent or if the gas cap is left off. Very weird stuff...

JS

Reply to
JS

Hyundai's are notoriously touchy about having the gas cap not just properly screwed back on but CRANKED.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Buddy

This has nothing to with properly screwing the gas cap back on. On my '99 Hyundai Accent you have to CRANK the gas cap. Like 12 clicks or the light will come on.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Have you tried a new gas cap? I've never heard of this before. 12 clicks should not be getting you any tighter. The clicks you're hearing are the cap slipping after it reaches its seat.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My Sonata has a built-in "clutch" so you can only crank it so far. Once it clicks, you are done.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting