check engine light is on

I have a 2001 hyundai tiburon that runs great...I have 58,000 miles on it ant today the check engine light came on...the car shows no signs of anything wrong at this point....the only thing i noticed was that i
didnt close the gas cap after filling up to tightly....how can i reset the light?
On Mar 13, 10:29 pm, michael snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It will go off in a few days if you've tightened the cap.
Chris
You can also reset it by pulling the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds. Another option, and in my opinion a good investment is to get an ODB-II scanner from your local auto shop store. It'll run about $100 but you can read the errors when the check engine light comes on and you can clear any errors as well.
Nick

You can clear the lamp by disconnecting the battery for 5 seconds, but this will cause you to lose any ability to check the code in the event it wasn't the gas cap.

Does the code clear itself after so many starts? My Buick will after about 15 starts.
The lamp will turn itself off after the test runs and passes three consecutive times. Depending on the test, this could be every time the vehicle is started, or some other more complicated and convoluted interval. In the industry, we use the term "drive cycle," which at least involves a cold start and reaching operating temperature.
The code itself will remain longer. I haven't needed this information in practical usage, and it's been so long since I've learned it, I've forgotten how long the code itself will remain.