check engine light is on

My check engeine light came on, I have a 02 accecnt with 55k. The oil levels are fine ( i am slighly over the 3000k mark to changing it, but i am getting my 60k service done soon so i wanted to wait) overall the car
seems to run fine. SHould I get this checked out, or is it likley that I didnt tighten the gas cap enough. Thanks
illusion123a wrote:

problem and drive the car a few times. IIRC it takes 3 or 4 cycles of starting, driving and shutting off the engine with normal operating parameters being fed to the ECU for it to shut off the CEL. If it doesn't turn itself off, you should check it. Some auto parts/service stores will check it free, or you can get an inexpensive ODB II code scanner like the Actron PocketScan. I've seen them online for ~$65 shipped (check Amazon).
Check the fuel cap. Was it loose or crossthreaded? Was the tether stuffed between the seal and the filler neck? If not, take it to have it checked.
If you've got 55k on your car, you should change your oil now and get the 60k at the next oil change (or the one after, depending on how the mileage actually works out).
I am getting the 60k done in two weeks, it is still on, but it has only been about 24 hours. If it is still on tomorrow I will make an appointment
If the car is not running abnormally and the check engine lamp does not begin flashing, two weeks is not an unreasonable time. If that's the case, I'd recommend just adding it to the 60k visit.
hyundaitech wrote:

The dealer should notice it during the service, anyway.
hyundaitech wrote:

Damn I feel like such an idiot!
My sister called me yesterday as the Check Engine light had come on. She was at a garage and asked me if she should pay the $40 to get it checked out. I said yes forgetting I had recently read this thread and guess what the problem was?
Gas cap was loose.
D'oh!
Chris
Another possibility is that an O2 sensor is bad. In my sister's 99 Elantra it went bad at around 55k miles (luckily it was still under warranty). I'd get it inspected before you hit the 60k mark otherwise if this is faulty, you'll end up paying for the part plus labor.
Nick