"Check Engine" light won't extinguish

The "Check Engine" light has been on on my 1990 Hyundai Excel GL (that's not a typo, I bought it new in October of the beginning of the last decade of the last century :O)) for several years.

Hope you've stopped laughing by now.. but it's true, and the dealer can't get the computer chip code to figure out why it won't go out. The car runs great and I've kept up with all the recommended service and various repairs here and there (I won't list them, but a valve job was The Biggy last year and the Second Biggy at about 5 years old was the fuel pump) and the new Midas muffler every 18 months or so (free on Lifetime Warranty), etc.

I've had various mechanics scratch their heads and say, "Well, if it's running right and the light won't go out maybe you should just disconnect the lamp in there."

It's a minor annoyance given the car's so good to me. But I like tinitis in my ears to be the only thing I can't do anything about as far as annoyances go. :O)

Any ideas?

-- Just Joe

Reply to
Just ole Joe

Gas cap loose?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Get the codes out of the computer and post them here.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

I had the same issue with my '94. I drove it that way for two years. The dealer checked it a couple of times when I had the car in for the state inspection, but couldn't get any useful codes. He would reset the CEL, then it would come back on within a few days...or minutes. Occasionally, it would go out by itself. Like your car, it ran fine, so I just ignored it. It was still on when I sold it earlier this year and still running like a top.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

BTW, when I checked the codes myself, all I ever got was something to do with the EGR. I went over the EGR system and couldn't find anything wrong.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks for your responses.

Now I'm fantasizing about figuring out how to unplug that particular lamp without undoing the other, useful ones.

It's a '90, as I say, so I don't mind doing without the functionality of the "check engine" lamp.

Know how to undo it?

- Joe

Reply to
Just ole Joe

My engine light came on at 130,000 miles. The local garage couldn't get any useful info on the codes. The car is a 1996, Hyundai Accent, now with

202,600 miles on it. Runs as good as the day I bought it new. And, the engine light is still on. And yes, I have changed gas caps.

Jozef

Reply to
Jozef

Hey man,

My ole car's got you beat by 4 years =-)

1986 P>> The "Check Engine" light has been on on my 1990
Reply to
Jody

My sister liked hers until the paint started peeling off the hood. Looks like yours had the same issue. It's too bad, since they've improved so much over the years. I was happy enough with my Excel that I replaced it with an Elantra. My mother bought a Sonata and loves it. My sister is still pissed at Hyundai and drives Dodges. Her loss...

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Yeah, her loss, also because in the price range of Hyundais they really hold their ground against other automobiles of most other brands.

This '90 Excel GL I bought new has its rattles and squeaks, but it always starts up in the Winter and the mileage is great (especially since the valve job several months ago): 34 around town and 37 on long trips.

The 1.5 liter engine isn't a powerhouse by any means, but it holds its own and does 75 or 80 humming right along for hundreds of miles on Interstate 80.

I'll keep it until it gets wrecked or I can't drive anymore. :O)

-- Joe

Reply to
Just ole Joe

Believe it or not, my Elantra GT hatchback 5 speed will equal or even slightly better that highway mileage @65 mph, using the cruise control as much as possible. I routinely average over 34 mpg combined. I guess it must be due to advances in engine technology, but I'm always impressed when a car exceeds it's EPA ratings.

Because it's a larger, heavier car with a bigger engine, it won't equal the Pony/Excel/Accent in city mileage, but that's no surprise.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

My only regret is getting the automatic instead of the stick in my '90. I could be getting even better mileage. But, hey, I went from a 1980 Chevy Silverado pickup, at 12 to 15 mpg, to the Hyundai, so the appreciation level was high immediatly. :O)

-- Joe

Reply to
Just ole Joe