Choice of Hyundai vs Forester

Good morning everyone,

I'm planning on buying either a new Hyundau Tucson SX (V6 2.7 Litre, Auto Transmission) or a Subaru Forrester (base model Auto). I am leaning towards the Hyundai as they are offering what, to me seems a better deal, expecially the 5 year warranty. The fuel consumption on either is about the same but the Hyundai offers more power and (I hope) that when I open the hatchback door it doesn't dump all the accumulated rainwater on me!

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the purchase. I have only started following this newsgroup so haven't been in touch with much discussion on the new Hyundai vehicles.

Thanks

Neville Cootamundra NSW Australia

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

G'day. I am a diehard Hyundai enthusiast. With that said, let me compare the two vehicles based on what I know about the Tucson (I have never owned one personally) and what I know about the Forrester (my Mother owns one that I have had the chance to drive on many occasions - a 2006 model):

- The Subaru gets better mileage irregardless of what the window stickers say. My Mother AVERAGES 27 MPG in her Forrester. From what I have read about the Tucson, most people get about 19-21 MPG on average.

- Build quality and reliability are about equal from where I sit.

- Warranty is Hyundai's hands down.

- Subaru service is a rip-off, but many would say the same about Hyundai.

- I have never driven a Tucson, but the ride on the Subaru is excellent. I suspect the same for the Tucson.

- The Tucson will give you more options and creature comforts for your dollar.

- Subaru parts are expensive, but as I am learning about Hyundai, due to a recent accident in my Entourage, so are the Hyundai parts (in fact, the body shop CLAIMS that the body parts are as expensive as most Mercedes).

That's about as objective as I can be, and I hope it helps.

Good luck.

Eric

Neville MADDEN wrote in news:Xns99794B09D8541nrmaddenyahoocom@211.29.133.50:

Reply to
Eric G.

Eric,

Thanks for the info.

The 21mpg (US I assume) works out to about the 11 litres/100km quoted down here in Australia so I can handle that.

Without checking the manufacturers specs on service I have been told that the Hyundai's first major service is at 90,000km (55,000 mile) whereas the Subaru is 50,000km. Here in Australia the dealer can't force you to have a vehicle serviced at a Hyundai dealership but as long as the service is carried out by a licenced mechanic it doesn't void your warranty.

I'm looking at the SX Tucson (V6 auto) and about the only option is a sunroof which I'm not interested in. It comes with all the gizmos I, as a senior citizen, would ever want.

My insurance compay's problem but I'll probably pay through increased premiums.

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

You're welcome. Even with the G'day I typed I lost track of you coming from "Down Under" :-)

Yes, those were US gallons. Sorry. My math puts it just about right as well.

I was completely comparing the dealers here in the States, having no knowledge of the "rules" in Australia. But things do sound similar. We have the manufacturer requirements in the manual. Then we have what the dealer will try to perform at the regular mileage intervals. I've heard of people paying as much as $600 for a 30,000 mile service. That is just ridiculous considering only about 10% of that service is actually recommended by the manufacturer. But you know they need to make a buck to keep the lights on :-)

Here in the states, we don't need to use the dealer either. Heck, we don't even need a licensed mechanic. We can do it ourselves too if we want, as long as we have some type of proof that the work was performed the warranty stays intact.

That's what I mean. The Tucson is loaded by default. You pay for every little thing on the Subaru, and sometimes you can't even buy an option that you might want without getting a "package" with other useless or non-desirable options as well.

True about the insurance company, and hopefully you'll never need their services anyway, just something to factor into the purchase decision.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. You need to drive both and see which one you like better (duh!). My Mom loves her Subie and my Sonata and she is almost 70.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

While I think Eric's estimate of Forester fuel economy is a little high for what the average user will experience, I still think you'll have better fuel economy with the Forester.

When it comes down to it, the Tucson has all the advantages (and disadvantages) of an SUV. The Forester, on the other hand, is much more like a car in just about every aspect. Probably the most important thing you should consider is whether you'd like a lighter station wagon type vehicle or a heavier SUV type vehicle. That'll wind up being the largest difference (aside from the performance).

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I have to agree. I was very surprised by the fuel economy of the Forrester. And my Mom is no light-foot on the accelerator either. Not a speed demon, but not like a Grandmother.

But the car-like vs. SUV-like analogy is an excellent one. It definitely reminds me of driving a car. But, again, I have never driven a Tucson. I did drive a Sante Fe (a pre-2007 model) and found it more "truck-like" than I would have liked.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Eric G's and Hyundaitech's assessment is right on. I have owned three Subies with current being a Forester. They are great cars, and for the most part very reliable. My forester is a 2000 with 90K miles and I get a consistent

26-27mpg. Subaru repairs are high, fortunately they are not needed often. I am considering switching to a Tucson because of far better warranty and the closest Subaru dealer to us is 80 mile away. I have very few bad words to say about Subaru, however if you follow this forum, you find there is powerful customer loyalty with Hyundai. To me that says you will probably be pleased with either choice although my strong impression is Hyundai is not high in fuel economy. If you live in snow country my vote goes to Subaru. The link is a great video about what happens when you mix Russian Forester owners, vodka, and one Land Rover on Moscow snow. funny.

D&SW

You might also want to post over on alt.autos.subaru for the opinions of Subie owners.

Reply to
QX

Let's see - you sit higher so you can roll over easier. The old Elantra towed more with better gas milage and would hold almost as much. I'd really rather have an Elantra 5 door or wagon. That would really compete with the Forrester. Are you listening Hyundai??????

Reply to
nothermark

Elantra will be available in wagon form in '08

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

The looks very much like the Hyundai version of the Kia Carens (Rondo in the USA).

Reply to
Don Allen

It does..... but the Rondo is quite a bit bigger (built on the Sonata platform)

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Who chopped the back end of that wagon? Wagons should have more cargo area in the rear.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Slaves of fashion....high short rears

There are very few wagons around now that can top the 61 cu ft (seats folded down) of my '99 elantra wagon.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Reply to
D&SW

Whoooohoooo! - Probably my next vehicle!! I may sneak a truck in first but it looks like it will be the replacement for my 2006 hatchback as long as it has decent specs.

Reply to
nothermark