"Cleaned up" sound file of strange car noise

Page 1 of 2
Hi.
I tried to clean up that recording that I made of the sound the Hyundai car was giving off (see my last thread): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey ¡be8fd0d9fda946d2db6fb9a8902bda
Th first bit you hear (before the pause) is uncleaned, then the second is the cleaned up part. It might have distorted the sound a little, so you might want to listen to the first one a few times until you hear it and compare. I also cropped it so the sound is present through the entire time when you can hear something (i.e. excluding the pause between the two versions).
Can you hear it better now?
Add pictures here
✖
"mike3" wrote:

No.
I downloaded your "improved" clip, doubled the volume again, and cut out the first part so it just loops over and over and over. It sounds like someone sat a microphone on a running engine. Other than that, I can not make out any specific (or even vaguely identifiable) noise.
Our brains are wonderful things, able to isolate a single person's voice while standing in a crowd with everyone talking at the same volume, but with a recording like yours, where we don't know which of the 500 noises contained in the 1/2 second clip are "normal" for your particular engine, and which you've been listening to for weeks / months / years, it's virtually impossible for US to pick out any "new" noise.
Sorry, but listening to WAVs on the Internet is not the best way to diagnose this.
Add pictures here
✖

And that's what sucks: there's all that other noise in there, and I just can't really get it out. But if you can hear a "knocking" or "clakking" or "creaking" noise in there, that's the noise I'm referring to.
How _can_ I diagnose this problem? We took the car to a mechanic at the car shop and he was mystified too!
Add pictures here
✖
And that's what sucks: there's all that other noise in there, and I just can't really get it out. But if you can hear a "knocking" or "clakking" or "creaking" noise in there, that's the noise I'm referring to.
How _can_ I diagnose this problem? We took the car to a mechanic at the car shop and he was mystified too!
At what point are you going to understand that people cannot hear your problem sounds via the files you provide. Quit trying to clean up the file and asking people to listen to it again. It's just not working. What kind of a mechanic did you take your car to? A real garage, or a shade tree mechanic? Try another mechanic. If a mechanic who saw the car in person was "mystified", then how in the hell can you possibly expect people on the internet to figure it out?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

I know. I guess I'm just frustrated. The guy was at Carquest or something like that, I think.
Also, what _did_ you hear in that file, anyways? What sort of sounds? Could you hear any noises that didn't sound just like the whirr of the engine and wheels?
Add pictures here
✖
I know. I guess I'm just frustrated. The guy was at Carquest or something like that, I think.
Also, what _did_ you hear in that file, anyways? What sort of sounds? Could you hear any noises that didn't sound just like the whirr of the engine and wheels?
That's funny. Carquest or something like that. You cant' hook anyone here with that one. Not even good bait. I did hear something in the audio file though, and I think you should look into it quickly. I heard an out of note gonkulator and possibly a bad muffler bearing (though I can't be quite sure of that...). The gonkulator really concerns me though, since that can result in a complete engine, transmission and suspension replacement within as short as a couple thousand miles. Sometimes far less. I think I'd run it by Home Depot. Have the plumbing guy take a look. Gonkulator problems are often easily addressed with a couple simple elbows and some street fittings. Can't hurt...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
✖
Mike Marlow wrote:

Make sure you use plenty of elbow grease on those elbow fittings or you'll regret it later. Sounds like the blinker fluid needs topping off, too.
Add pictures here
✖

So I guess Carquest is too crappy a place, then? The owner of the shop looked at it. He was also a mechanic, and he said he What's this "bait" for? I'm not trying to "bait" anything with it, so if it sucks as bait, that's not a problem, as that's not its purpose.

I don't think a gonkulator actually exists. I think that's something you made up. I think you are pulling my leg. Nor do I think mufflers have bearings in them. I think that too is a HOAX. Are you saying you cannot hear anything that would be abnormal, or what?
Again I think you are pulling my leg. I came here wanting real help, then I hear my recording is no good, and I tried to fix it up, and that didn't do it, and now I get this.
<SNIP!>
Add pictures here
✖

OK, maybe "HOAX" is a bit much. But yeah, I think you're just pulling my leg.

Add pictures here
✖

I just don't recall where I took it to. Hmmm.
Add pictures here
✖
Toyota MDT in MO wrote:

That may sound strange, but it probably isn't. I think this car doesn't really belong to the OP. My guess is that he is a teenager with an internet connection (and maybe a learner's permit) and the car belongs to his parent(s). He is appears to be trying to be helpful. But one can only guess what the real story is. Maybe he really wants to help or maybe feels guilty because the noise started after he jumped the curb and ran over a garbage can.
-jim
Add pictures here
✖

Your theories are good ones. With his obvious aversion to the truth, I don't expect the OP to get (or deserve) much help.
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
✖

What is this "aversion to truth"?
Add pictures here
✖

Dear Waste Of Everyone's Time,
What is this "I don't know where I took the car to have it diagnosed?" As I dislike using quotes inside of quotes, pretend that the word diagnosed is in quotes.
Thanks,
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
✖

I already said that we took it to Carquest, which apparently is not a good shop I've been told. So no wonder they said they didn't know...
???
Add pictures here
✖

Actually your guess is mostly correct. Like I said, it's a family car, so yeah, it's not _my_ car.

The real story is that when we got the car, it had the noise to begin with. It was used and not from a dealer. And no, I didn't wreck the car.
Add pictures here
✖
The real story is that when we got the car, it had the noise to begin with. It was used and not from a dealer. And no, I didn't wreck the car.
Mike - I'm going to take one parting shot at making sense to you, before dismissing this thread entirely. I'm sure you are noble in your pursuit, but you fail to understand a few critical points. For one - you've been told that no one can hear what you are saying is a concerning sound. At this point - it does not matter if you do more audio magic, or not - the internet is not the right forum for that kind of diagnostic approach. There are technical reasons why your "cleaning" up a file, only serves to your disadvantage, and you need to come to grips with that. Since no one yet has been able to help out with your audio representation of the problem - you don't have a choice... take the car to a real mechanic. Not Carquest or any other cheap alternative to a real mechanic. You get what you pay for in this world Mike and you found that out the hard way at Carquest.
I highly doubt the guy at Carquest was a mechanic. He'd have told you much more than what you've relayed here, if he was. The guys that work in these places are more often than not, fully UNqualified to work on cars in any way. They are parts clerks and damned poor ones at that, most of the time. Get the car to any reputable mechanic, and embrace the fact that you'll have to pay to get it diagnosed and/or fixed.
A forum like this can be helpful in guiding you through the repair aspects of a problem, but even at that - it's a long distince thing. No one can tell you everything you'll need to know to fix this. If you're not experienced at fixing cars, then you can't just turn to the internet for instant answers. You might just have to learn a bit about cars before you can realize your amition of helping the family out. I think your ambition is noble but Mike - you can't just turn to the internet and get an instant, cheap, miraculous fix to a problem that can't even be properly described or represented.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
✖

Yes, it could also remove some of the sound's information, distorting it. This was just a last ditch effort to salvage the recording. It apparently didn't work. Oh well.

Well _I_ wasn't the one who took it there, remember, as it isn't _my_ car?

Well, OK, then we can write off Carquest...

Well I wasn't expecting an "instant" and "miraculous" fix, but at least some *clues* as to what might be causing the noise. And I guess I'm also a little pissed off that the recording was so poor, too.
Where could I learn more about cars, though, with an eye toward the stuff that might give clues to problems like these?
Add pictures here
✖

.
(addendum) I.e. I've now pretty much written off the recording. I guess I thought I could point out the concerning sound, but I've given that up now as obviously that is not possible over the internets.
So I was already coming around to these points after my final post about listening for the sound, and once again it failing to be heard. I tried and tried, but the internets are fundamentally limited, and so it is impossible to point such things out via the internet.

Add pictures here
✖

So please don't leave just _yet_, as you _are_ making sense to me, especially now, and I've still got one more question below and an answer to one of your questions:

answer to your Q

Final question
Add pictures here
✖