"Cleaned up" sound file of strange car noise

Page 2 of 2

Most of us got our start hanging out with mechanics and car guys, when we were younger. We worked on our own cars and made every mistake in the book - or most every one. We simply do not admit to those mistakes any longer...
Take your car to a smaller garage - one with a good reputation. The bench rate will be expensive, but usually lower than dealerships and larger garages. A smaller shop is more likely to let you hang with the mechanic while he looks at the car, and you can explain to him that you're trying to learn a bit. If he's a decent Joe, he'll explain some things to you as he works.
Forums like this are good places to learn, but topics are scattered and not organized into any coherent flow. You just kind of pick up general knowledge to put into your hip pocket most of the time. That all by itself is quite useful, but it also requires you have some idea how automobile systems work in the first place, in order for it to be very meaningful. There's lots of forums out there, so lurk around in many.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Thank you for the answer.
Would it also be expensive just to diagnose the problem, i.e. just to have them listen to the noise? How much would it cost?
mike3 wrote:

How long is a piece of string?
Mark Olson wrote:

You need to dip it in milk and then wring it out and measure the amount of milk you get. The amount of milk you get will be proportional to the length of the string.
-jim

Whole milk, or skimmed milk? Cup, or bowl?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Thank you for the answer.
Would it also be expensive just to diagnose the problem, i.e. just to have them listen to the noise? How much would it cost?
**********************************************************************************************************************
It may not cost anything for a diagnosis. If you can find a good, local garage, and explain that you need an estimate for repairs, you'll probably get the diagnosis for free. The repair may be well worth paying for, depending on what the diagnosis turns out to be.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike 3,
Why not give up on this newsgroup?
You said the noise was there when you or your family bought the car. Why did you not have it checked out then?
It seems you are looking for a pen pal and have hooked up with a number of us here on the hyundai forum. You can ask your questions on http://www.hyundai-forums.com/ and find a lot more pen pals. Or, would you rather one of us do that for you?
Jim

Thanks for the answer. I might ask and see what happens, if there's a "good" garage around here.

**********************************************************************************************************************
Thanks for the answer. I might ask and see what happens, if there's a "good" garage around here.
Assuredly there is. You've got to get off the dime and get your vehicle to someone to look at. The longer you procrastinate, the longer you live with your mysterious sound.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

I'm late to this party and have little to offer beyond what's been said, but I figure I can explain why you're receiving so much grief over this. Carquest is a place that sells parts. No one is employed by Carquest as a mechanic, and they do not run a shop. Indeed, you'll need someone who knows about cars and is capable of working on them in order to solve your problem.
Mike - you may think that you have isolated and cleaned up the file but you, and you alone, are the only one to know what to listen to specifically. If you have taken the car to your local Hyundai dealer and they have not been able to isolate the cause then I don't know how you can expect to have someone else who is not even present diagnose a sound. You are driving an 8+ year old car that was initially a "lower priced" model, if the car is giving you no other problems be happy and keep driving it until the "noise" becomes more defined and someone who is qualified can then tell you what is going on. mike3 wrote:

So the "rattling" or "clicking" isn't good enough, then? You can't hear anything in there that sounds like that at all? If so then I'm going to give up on this particular recording.

There isn't exactly a "local" Hyundai dealer around here. We didn't even get this car from a dealer, we got it from a girl in town for cheap.

Other than the noise, there aren't any problems.
mike3 wrote:

So what does that mean? Does it mean he heard the noise but couldn't figure out where it was coming from? Or doers it mean he couldn't hear any noise that was out of the ordinary? Or does it mean he spoke a foreign language and couldn't understand anything you said?
mike3 wrote:

I couldn't hear anything that sounded like a clicking or creaking (your description).
I would guess your noise is something from the exhaust system. Either a leak or something vibrating like a heat shield. Just a wild guess based on what sort of noise would not record well.
-jim