"Cleaned up" sound file of strange car noise

************=AD=AD=AD*****

hook anyone here

n the audio file

an out of note

I think I'd run

ulator problems

doesn't really

I already said that we took it to Carquest, which apparently is not a good shop I've been told. So no wonder they said they didn't know...

???

Reply to
mike3

*****************

Yes, it could also remove some of the sound's information, distorting it. This was just a last ditch effort to salvage the recording. It apparently didn't work. Oh well.

Well _I_ wasn't the one who took it there, remember, as it isn't _my_ car?

Well, OK, then we can write off Carquest...

Well I wasn't expecting an "instant" and "miraculous" fix, but at least some *clues* as to what might be causing the noise. And I guess I'm also a little pissed off that the recording was so poor, too.

Where could I learn more about cars, though, with an eye toward the stuff that might give clues to problems like these?

Reply to
mike3

.
*******************

(addendum) I.e. I've now pretty much written off the recording. I guess I thought I could point out the concerning sound, but I've given that up now as obviously that is not possible over the internets.

So I was already coming around to these points after my final post about listening for the sound, and once again it failing to be heard. I tried and tried, but the internets are fundamentally limited, and so it is impossible to point such things out via the internet.

Reply to
mike3

*********************

So please don't leave just _yet_, as you _are_ making sense to me, especially now, and I've still got one more question below and an answer to one of your questions:

answer to your Q

Final question

Reply to
mike3

Most of us got our start hanging out with mechanics and car guys, when we were younger. We worked on our own cars and made every mistake in the book - or most every one. We simply do not admit to those mistakes any longer...

Take your car to a smaller garage - one with a good reputation. The bench rate will be expensive, but usually lower than dealerships and larger garages. A smaller shop is more likely to let you hang with the mechanic while he looks at the car, and you can explain to him that you're trying to learn a bit. If he's a decent Joe, he'll explain some things to you as he works.

Forums like this are good places to learn, but topics are scattered and not organized into any coherent flow. You just kind of pick up general knowledge to put into your hip pocket most of the time. That all by itself is quite useful, but it also requires you have some idea how automobile systems work in the first place, in order for it to be very meaningful. There's lots of forums out there, so lurk around in many.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thank you for the answer.

Would it also be expensive just to diagnose the problem, i.e. just to have them listen to the noise? How much would it cost?

Reply to
mike3

How long is a piece of string?

Reply to
Mark Olson

You need to dip it in milk and then wring it out and measure the amount of milk you get. The amount of milk you get will be proportional to the length of the string.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Thank you for the answer.

Would it also be expensive just to diagnose the problem, i.e. just to have them listen to the noise? How much would it cost?

**********************************************************************************************************************

It may not cost anything for a diagnosis. If you can find a good, local garage, and explain that you need an estimate for repairs, you'll probably get the diagnosis for free. The repair may be well worth paying for, depending on what the diagnosis turns out to be.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Whole milk, or skimmed milk? Cup, or bowl?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike 3,

Why not give up on this newsgroup?

You said the noise was there when you or your family bought the car. Why did you not have it checked out then?

It seems you are looking for a pen pal and have hooked up with a number of us here on the hyundai forum. You can ask your questions on

and find a lot more pen pals. Or, would you rather one of us do that for you? Jim

**********************************************************************************************************************
Reply to
Jim White

Thanks for the answer. I might ask and see what happens, if there's a "good" garage around here.

Reply to
mike3

Thanks for the answer. I might ask and see what happens, if there's a "good" garage around here.

Assuredly there is. You've got to get off the dime and get your vehicle to someone to look at. The longer you procrastinate, the longer you live with your mysterious sound.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm late to this party and have little to offer beyond what's been said, but I figure I can explain why you're receiving so much grief over this. Carquest is a place that sells parts. No one is employed by Carquest as a mechanic, and they do not run a shop. Indeed, you'll need someone who knows about cars and is capable of working on them in order to solve your problem.

Reply to
hyundaitech