Clicking/rubbing noise when I accelerate on 1994 Excel

My 1994 Hyundai Excel, automatic transmission, is making a soft clicking/rubbing noise when I accelerate--it does not happen when turning. It is stronger when I am going up a hill or accelerating more strongly. I am assuming that it is the CV joint.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Hundaya

There are four CV joints on your car, an inner and an outer on each of the two halfshafts. CV joint issues are typically characterized by vibration/noise when cornering or accelerating out of a corner, rather than in straight line driving. Without actually hearing the sound your car is making, a diagnosis could be difficult. What you're describing could just as easily be a transmission or wheel bearing problem.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I appreciate the help.

How can I find out if it is a problem with one of the front bearings?

Thanks

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
Hundaya

I am wondering why it doesn't make any noise when I'm not accelerating. I would figure that if it were a wheel bearing problem that it would make noise even when I'm not accelerating--not sure.

Thanks

Hundaya wrote:

Reply to
Hundaya

It should, but it would be louder when accelerating. One way to check wheel bearings is to jack up the car, grab the tire at the top and bottom, then push and pull on it to see if there's any play in the bearings. If there is, the bearings are shot.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Typically, wheel bearings make the most noise when loaded. So... a left front wheel bearing will generally make the most noise when turning right, as that is the time when the most weight and strain is placed on that bearing. As well, they may make a more continuous noise when driving in a straight line, but a more aggrivated noise when turning, depending upon the state of wear and the nature of the wear.

Weight shifts to the rear during acceleration so for a wheel bear to either make more noise or make less noise during acceleration would not surprise me. Either scenario could be equally possible. One of the bigger factors in determining if a wheel bearing is truly at fault is simply the change in sounds under different conditions.

I have certainly seen plenty of wheel bearings that made noise while driving straight down the road. Again - the nature of the symptom varies dependent upon the actual failure inside the bearing assembly.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

To supplement Brian's point, simply because you cannot detect any motion is not reason to conclude the bearing is not shot. Hub and bearing assemblies will quite often not display a failure with techniques that you can easily perform on a jack.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You might even suspect a broken or damaged engine mount allowing the engine/trans to move far enough for a moving component to contact another.

Could be something rubbing in the wheel well. Sometimes the weight shift is just enough to make things touch.

Does the noise vary with engine rpm or vehicle speed or neither?

Reply to
hyundaitech

The engine intermittent rubbing noise intervals are shorter at a higher speed, but the noise is the loudest when I am accelerating the most. In other words, the rubbing noise is faster at a higher speed, but the sound only happens when I accelerate, and is louder when I accelerate more.

I hope that this makes sense.

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
Hundaya

Mike's right. I meant to add that to my post. The absence of play in the bearing doesn't necessarily indicate the absence of a problem.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The problem is that "rubbing noise" isn't very descriptive, at least not enough to get a clear picture of what you're hearing. Can you describe it better or perhaps equate it to some other familiar noise?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Picture an electric fan. The fan is off, you put your hand on one of the fan blades. Then your turn it on and let your hand rub against the blades as they accelerate.

Maybe this is a better description.

I really appreciate the help.

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
Hundaya

I'd start checking the motor and transmission mounts, then. It's possible one is coming apart and contacting the body when you accelerate.

Reply to
hyundaitech