Clicks off every few seconds while pumping gas

2002 Hyundai Sonata with just over 100,000 miles. Car works great except for this one problem. When you pump gas into the tank, the pump clicks off
every few seconds as though the tank is full. Without even looking at it, the dealer said it's caused by a blockage in a canister assembly hose connecting to the fuel tank - something about charcoal buildup. So it's evidently a known problem. Dealer wants to charge $700 to $1000 to repair. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a less expensive solution?
Rick wrote:

Read: http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-5/slow-fuel-fill-problem-diagnosis-5971/ http://autoforum.classifieds1000.com/Hyundai-Accent/Gas_tank_shut_off
Is there a less expensive solution? Yes. Fix it yourself.
replying to Rick , passerby wrote:

I've had the same thing happening in a brand new car (though not Huyndai) - so "without even looking" sounds quite dumb of him.
Although other possibilities exist, there are two common problems that caus e your scenario on your vehicle:
1. The screen in the charcoal canister has rusted away and the loose charc oal is blocking the vapor vent path.
2. The canister filter is clogged, similarly preventing venting.
In either case, replacement of the offending component is recommended. The canister is by far the more expensive, so if I find a canister problem, I typically recommend spending a few extra bucks to replace the filter as wel l while everything is off the vehicle and apart.
The estimate sounds a bit high unless they're including a significant amoun t of diagnostic charges (which may indeed be reasonable for finding the loc ation of the issue). For parts and labor to replace the canister without a ny diagnostic time, I'd expect something in the $300 to $550 range.
Maybe you should shop around.
On 7/9/13 5:59 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, "hyundaitech"