Clutch slipping

I have a 2004 Elantra GT and since I started using the ac this summer I noticed my clutch slipping. I only have 28,000 miles and most of that is highway so i cant imagine its worn out. Would the clutch still be covered under the warranty even though its a wearable item? Thanks Bob

Reply to
Heckle

The clutch would be covered only if the dealer can find some sort of defect. If it's slipping, the chances of this are very low.

I'm a little curious how the A/C usage allows you to better notice clutch slippage. I'm not trying to be critical, but your statement makes me wonder whether your clutch is slipping or there may be some other issue. I've seen some worn out at that mileage, but it's very rare.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Heckle

I'd take it to have it checked -- maybe even take someone at the dealer on a road test. I can't think of any reason why the a/c would cause additional revving with the clutch pedal out. You describe it like a slipping clutch (and certainly that's a possibility), but the circumstances cause me doubt.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"" wrote: > I have a 2004 Elantra GT and since I started using the ac this > summer I > noticed my clutch slipping. I only have 28,000 miles and most > of that is > highway so i cant imagine its worn out. Would the clutch still > be covered > under the warranty even though its a wearable item? > Thanks > Bob

I would doubt it is the clutch. The A/C puts added strain on the engine, so you lose the power you have without the A/C on. so it takes more gas and a higher RPM to move your car. and with a smaller engine the % of HP used by your A/C is bigger so you feel more lag, which can feel like ?Slipping?. if it is your clutch that is slipping you should beable to recreate it by revving high in any given gear with or w/o the A/C on

Reply to
xmirage2kx

While that's true to an extent with an automatic, with a manual transmission, rpms will be the same at a given speed, regardless whether the A/C is on or not. There is a direct connection between the engine and the wheels, so the only way that the rpms can increase without the car's speed increasing is if the clutch slips or the wheels spin.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom