Coasting

Page 2 of 2

There you go again. No one ever said anything about exceeding the speed limit. Quite the opposite, it's easy to find oneself behind pokey people who feel no one needs to go any faster than they are, or that no one needs to get off a light any faster than they choose to.
Speeding alone does not make aggressive driving. Those who hold up lines of traffice while driving under the speed limit are just as aggressive as those who act aggressively at higher speeds.

You are a fool.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-- Oh man, not one of those types. They seem to be everywhere these days.......know it alls without a life.
OK, your right and I'm wrong....whatever
L.

You know what they say - if everyone around you is telling you the same thing...
Not a know it all in life. In fact I'd suggest that's how you are presenting yourself in this dialog. You have consistently misrepresented the comments of every other posted in this thread in order to position their comments as some extreme statement that they never made. You then went on to proclaim how you would force your way on everyone else, regardless of the propriety of that action, and wrapped it all up in a wrapper of extreme alarmist rhetoric. You've pretty well proven yourself incapable of reasonable conversation.

No - I'm simply another point of view. That appears to be something you have difficulty with.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Sure, it all depends on drivetrain design. My Buick has little drag, but my former Mercedes diesel would probably be doing 30 at the end of that hill. As for coasting, you can get better mileage as long as you can use the gained speed and not just waste it by putting on the brakes.

That's the truth. Unfortunately, at the end of this hill is a light. It's green for me about 70% of the time. When that's the case, I can usually get about 4 miles of coasting while still maintaing the speed limit.
Anyway, even longer story short, but by practicing my "smoothness", and coasting where it is beneficial and SAFE, over the last 6 months I have managed to increase my mileage by an average of just over 2 MPG. I am now at 24.6 MPG (6 month average) versus 22.5 MPG. And my driving is 80% city with a V6 Sonata.
Eric

For highway driving cruise control is

Unless there are hills to climb. CC will try and maintain the selected speed whereas if you hold a steady pedal pressure up hill and let the speed drop, you'll save a few drop of the precious fluid.
I practice hypermileage techniques with both of our stick shift cars and I'm seeing about a 10% mileage improvement. I think most of the savings come from accelerating like there is a egg between my foot and the gas pedal followed by coasting and higher tire pressure. L.