Coasting

I wasn't speaking exclusively about interstate driving. What is your version of driving etiquette if I'm doing the speed limit, or slightly under, on a two lane road? I have calculated that I get the best mileage at 53/54 with the car I drive most often. If you push me to go faster you're costing me money. What about driving on city streets which will likely soon be carrying more scooter and bicycle traffic? Where do your rights end and mine begin?

And yes, I completely agree that 'going with the flow' on a busy, multi-lane limited access road, is the safest way to drive.

L.

Reply to
Curlyque

I have no problem if you are going the speed limit on a two lane road nor do I have a problem if you are going the speed limit while passing on the interstate. I do have a problem, if you are cruising in the left hand lane at, or below, the speed limit and not passing, or do not move over to allow others to pass because there is a slower moving vehicle in the distance (being a relative term but generally taking more than a minute or two to overtake).

As far as bicycles (scooters should be able to keep up with the flow of most urban traffic) go the law states that a cyclist has the same rights as a motorist. Being a cyclist myself and realizing that I may have the same rights as a motorist there are certain streets in my city that, in my estimation, are dangerous to exercise those rights. When there are curb cuts in the sidewalk I will opt to ride on the sidewalk rather than try to ride up a hill on a street where traffic is heavy and and the lanes are narrow. I would do this not out of etiquette but more importantly out of a need for survival and common sense. Just because you have the right does not mean that you should insist on that right to the detriment of your well-being. After having several fellow cyclist get hit by vehicles I realize that the 2000#+ always win whether they are right or not.

Reply to
jp103

jp103 scribbled:

This, in Illinois, is illegal (with some reasonable exceptions) and can get you a ticket if there are cars behind you trying to pass.

Anyone driving faster than me is a maniac; anyone driving slower than me is an idiot. ;-)

Reply to
Don P.

There you go again. No one ever said anything about exceeding the speed limit. Quite the opposite, it's easy to find oneself behind pokey people who feel no one needs to go any faster than they are, or that no one needs to get off a light any faster than they choose to.

Speeding alone does not make aggressive driving. Those who hold up lines of traffice while driving under the speed limit are just as aggressive as those who act aggressively at higher speeds.

You are a fool.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

-- Oh man, not one of those types. They seem to be everywhere these days.......know it alls without a life.

OK, your right and I'm wrong....whatever

L.

Reply to
Curlyque

You know what they say - if everyone around you is telling you the same thing...

Not a know it all in life. In fact I'd suggest that's how you are presenting yourself in this dialog. You have consistently misrepresented the comments of every other posted in this thread in order to position their comments as some extreme statement that they never made. You then went on to proclaim how you would force your way on everyone else, regardless of the propriety of that action, and wrapped it all up in a wrapper of extreme alarmist rhetoric. You've pretty well proven yourself incapable of reasonable conversation.

No - I'm simply another point of view. That appears to be something you have difficulty with.

Reply to
Mike Marlow