Code P0449 question

2004 Elantra.
Had it in to the dealer several times for a "Check Engine Light". They said it's a P0449 code.
History follows:
05/24/05 - Performed a Service Engine Scan. Found one history code
    leading to Evap system. Cleared and tested. Customer to     monitor
05/27/05 - Failure Code P0449     Cause: Fuel tube hose was split allowing water into the purge     cannister and cannister filter     Correction: Replace hose and drain water from the cannister     filter
06/01/05 - Cause: Diagnostic Code P0449 Vent Valve circuit cannister     close valve innop.     Correction: Replaced valve
Since that time, the Check Engine Light has been on and off quite a few times. The car is running fine, but I worry that the light being on renders it useless, as it could mask other problems that might show up. This whole thing started not too long after the car was rear-ended and repaired.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Larry (lar3ry at sasktel dot net)
Larry
--
There are 10 kinds of people --
First, you should probably find out what code is present now. That'll tell us whether we're still combatting the same issue or something different.

Well, I had the car in for a Service 4 yesterday, and passed on your suggestions as well as those Chris mentioned.
The following is from the bill:
Complaint:     Customer states that the engine check light is on     Check history codes Cause:     Scanned and inspected     Found 2 codes dealing with the evap emissions     p0449 and P0445     Inspected and diagnosed that the evap cannister close      valve not functioning as designed Correction:     Removed and replaced purge cannister close valve     assembly and cleared codes.     Road tested for operation     Found light did not return     Problem corrected
I left the dealership, and stopped at a few places in town. While on the way home, the light came back on. <sigh>
Sent this a while back, but it looks like it didn't get there...
The hyundaitech entity posted thusly:

Well, I had the car in for a Service 4 yesterday, and passed on your suggestions as well as those Chris mentioned.
The following is from the bill:
Complaint:     Customer states that the engine check light is on     Check history codes Cause:     Scanned and inspected     Found 2 codes dealing with the evap emissions     p0449 and P0445     Inspected and diagnosed that the evap cannister close      valve not functioning as designed Correction:     Removed and replaced purge cannister close valve     assembly and cleared codes.     Road tested for operation     Found light did not return     Problem corrected
I left the dealership, and stopped at a few places in town. While on the way home, the light came back on. <sigh>
That can be a hard one to truly clear up. I had to go back 4 times to get it finished... the last time I was given a loaner car for 3 days. they claimed it ended up being a pin hole leak in the canister system. as Its the Sulev engine <'05 Elantra GT hatch> The system will error on a smaller leak than the standard purge system. Was annoying ...but I looked up the service procedures in the online manual and they were doing what it says to fix it....It just can take a while.
Andy C

The Andy C entity posted thusly:

Thanks Andy. They did mention leaving the car overnight. I'll see what I can do about getting a loaner from them and leaving it.
Larry
It seems rather stupid on the part of the dealer to scan and obtain a code and take no diagnostic action other than to 'clear the code' and send you on your way, which is precisely what they did on your first visit.
And, to add to that, P0449 is a 'generic' obd-ii code that says the failure is in the evap system vent solenoid. What did the dealer do on trip number 2? They replaced a bad hose. They still(apparently) did not check the electrical circuit or the physical function of the vent solenoid.
On trip 3, they replaced the valve, something that should have been inspected and tested on visit number 1.
If the engine light is on now, run the car down to checker/autozone/kragen, etc. and have them pull all of the diagnostic codes out for you(they will perform this service for free), and post your findings here.
There are four types of OBD-II codes, if they begin with a P it is a powertrain code. If the first digit is a zero, P0xxx then it is a 'generic' OBD-II code that is common to all OBD-II equipped vehicles. If the first digit is a 1, P1xxx, then it is a manufactureri-specific diagnostic code. You will need access to hyundai service literature to know what a P1xxx code means. However, you can read all about the 'generic' codes here
http://www.obdii.com/codes.html
Let us know what you find out.
Chris