Cracked windshield.

Just had to have the windshield on my 2001 Elantra replaced. Hit a small rock, or chip, on the freeway, $50 deductible. This is the second replacement, had to have it replaced
about 18 months ago, also due to a flying stone on the freeway. Have owned different cars for over 50 years and have never had this misfortune before. The windshield installer says it is because inferior glass and manufacturing techniques are the cause.
I'm in no position to judge either way-- I don't know all that much about windshields specifically. But I'd wager that the original replacement was not a Hyundai windshield.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:22:17 -0400, "hyundaitech"

No it wasn't. It was made by Pilkington glass. Dunno what the second replacement is, the installer indicated it was made in Mexico. The Pilkington one was hit a small rock, the actual impact area was about the size of a rice grain, but then a crack extending over seven inches developed down the windshield.
"" wrote: > Just had to have the windshield on my 2001 Elantra replaced. > Hit a small rock, or chip, on the freeway, $50 deductible. > This is the second replacement, had to have it replaced > about 18 months ago, also due to a flying stone on the > freeway. > Have owned different cars for over 50 years and have > never had this misfortune before. The windshield installer > says it is because inferior glass and manufacturing techniques > are the cause.
Aerodynamics, cheaply made glass, and shoddy road work. Welcome to the 21century. I have had good luck with the bug deflectors that go along the edge of the hood of your car. and I have been hearing about a spray you can add to your windshield that helps reduce chips/cracks but I have yet to try it for myself
Irwell, I dont really believe its inferior glass or manufacturing techniques as the glass must meet certain criteria before it can be used. I lived in New York for many many years and although in upstate NY we had some of the worst winters in the U.S. and they used sand ( the size of Volkswagens ) on the roads there in 35 years of driving in those winters I NEVER has ONE stone chip.... In 2001 I moved to Las Vegas and bought a brand New 2001 Monte Carlo SS with the NASCAR package and BANG 2 weeks later a stone chip and a $50.00 repair.......6 months later BOOM another stone chip and and another $50.00 repair !!! For some reason we have ( BELIVE IT OR NOT ) INVISABLE stones that seem to fly through the air when there are no other cars around.. I'M SERIOUS GUYS you can drive down the highway and occasionally here a click on the windsheild and low and behold theres a damn mark......What makes matters worse I bought a new XG350L 2 1/2 months ago car only has 1200 miles on it and GUESS WHAT !!!!!! YUP ALREADY !!
Hank

about "Cracked windshield.":
I don't know what climate you live in but if it is hot as Houston is then there is a greater propensity for windshields to crack.
Also if you live in an area where road debris occurs a lot faster than the roads are swept then there is a greater risk of cracked windshields.
That said, I never lad a cracked windshield while I lived in Canada. Since moving to Houston, I had two - one on my old 2002 Elantra GT and one on my Dodge Grand Caravan. Moreover, here in Houston cracked windshields do not favour any one brand. They happen to all cars.
Moral of story - Hyundai glass is no more inferior than any other. People drive faster on debris-strewn roads causing misery for all.
Regards