Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

I'm having difficulty removing crankshaft pulley bolt using impact wrench on my '96 Elantra. Any chance this bolt could be left hand thread? I have the impact wrench set to remove the bolt counter-clockwise.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Well if this helps any...

On my 99 Sonata (v6...not that it matters) I tried the same thing, with the impact wrench- didn't work. I ended up trying to hold the engine from turning while I used a breaker bar by putting something through the cam sprocket to help the old timing belt to help stop the turning- big mistake. DON'T do it by putting something in the cam like I did- it broke.

Anyway, on to your problem... I ended up using a breaker bar and a piece of wood and a large screw driver to jam against the pully and the end in the wheelwell (to stop it from turning) and then cranked the bolt off. By the way, mine was standard thread out (lefty loosy, righty tighty)... so counter clockwise out.

It was as if the bolt was coroded to the pully (may be that's just our weather in WI though)

Good luck.

Reply to
99trooper

It's a right-hand thread. Make sure your impact wrench delivers at least 200 ft/lbs. Some of the cheaper 1/2" electric models just aren't strong enough. And a lot of torque is lost because the crankshaft is free to turn.

Try alternating between tightening and loosening the bolt, 10 seconds at a time, in order to break the threads free. It can take up to five minutes before the bolt comes loose. Allow the impact socket to cool down if it gets too hot.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

In some of the toughest cases, I've had to remove the torque converter cover and put something in the teeth of the flywheel to prevent it from turning.

On some cars, it's also possible to attach a breaker bar to the bolt and use the starter to break the bolt loose. Figure out which way the engine turns, install the breaker bar and rest against something it won't be able to break, and turn the key momentarily to start and back off. Make sure you don't allow the engine to start and run for any length of time. Bad things could happen.

Reply to
hyundaitech