dash board lights on 1991 Hyundai

A friend of a friend (who is now out of town) tried to repair the passenger side tail light wiring. I don?t know what he did but now the dash board lights do not work unless the brake pedal is depressed. Can anyone help? Thanks

Reply to
McDubin

Sure - he crossed the purple wire with the blue wire which causes the white wire to feed back voltage through the black wire and the net result is that the red wire never sees the difference in potential that it expects, so the grey wire fails to go active, and your brake pedal wire monitor gets all screwed up.

Now really - you don't say a thing about what the original problem was, don't say any more about what your friend did to "fix" it, and you expect a group of people who don't even know what model Hyundai you own, to diagnose your problem. Sure - lots of people here can help - with some information. Absent that, we're all going to be poking in the dark.

Why did he attempt to repair the tail lamp wiring? What was the original problem?

Other than the dash lights problem, do the tail lights seem to work properly? Brake, tail and directional?

Where was this friend monkeying about on your car?

Are you opposed to simply taking your car to a qualified mechanic? This may or may not be a requirement for you, but based on your original question, I'm guessing it's going to prove to be likely.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

He did say it was the passenger side. I thought everyone knew that the passenger side is tied to the dash lights, the drivers side is tied to the dome light. Below the equator it is the opposite.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I always get that passenger side/driver side thing confused. For the longest time I thought the passenger side was tied to the under hood light and that it provided input to the ECM, and then I learned that was really the driver's side front...

Reply to
Mike Marlow