Dash lights stay on and kill the battery

I have a 2004 Sante Fe. Three times now Ive come out from work to find the parking lights and dash lights on. The lights are turned off via the stalk and appear to be off when I leave the car to go into
work. But, like I said three times now for some reason they go on and kill the battery. Anyone have any thoughts. I know theyre on because when I go to jump the battery and put the key in the ignition, presto, the lights are on. And again all the lights have been turned off via the stalk before I left the car.
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.AutoBoardz.com
interface

You don't mention your location which may be of importance. I had a very similar experience with my 2001 XG. The dash lights would stay on or perhaps come on, on their own & discharge the battery over time. Mine is a Canadian car & the problem was in the day-time running light module, required here in Canada but not the USA. So if appropriate check it out. BCinBC