Dealer bites the dust

Page 3 of 4
Once in a great while, I actually Do make sense.................... :o) Of course, my wife will never agree to that!

Yeah - I supposed I might be a bit predictable at times. I'm just so tired of that phrase "gas guzzlers", and it always seems to get thrown out there for the effect, rather than a valid argument point. I do agree that it seems we well ought to be able to expect mileage numbers in the 40's now, without any radical designs. 30's was great for a generation of cars, and I applaud GM for having lead the pack in producing as many cars as they did, for as long as they did, that achieved that kind of mileage. But, like you, I believe it's time to advance on that front. I really like both of the Sonatas we own (04 and 06), and I have almost nothing but good to say about them, but the one thing that struck me with each one of them was that the mileage compared to my GM cars was actually somewhat off. Not so bad as to make owning either one a bad experience, but it is hard at first to accept a new car getting a couple/few less miles per gallon that what you owned before it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Curiously enough, the Cobalt with Auto transmission gets 4 MPG less than the stick! That is very unusual in today's advanced automatic technology. Usually the auto trans' are getting the same or maybe one mpg less than stick, but 4?????

631grant wrote:

I believe the XFE has changes other than the transmission. I believe the engine has been tweaked for fuel economy, it has low rolling resistance tires (I wonder what those cost to replace?), etc., that I don't believe are on the auto tranny version.
Matt

I'm anxious to see more advances in electric, but in self-generating electric. Diesel generator locomotives have advanced great strides in the tonnage they can move on a gallon of diesel fuel, and it sure seems that the technology they employ could be migrated to cars. I'm not at all interested in seeing any more introductions that require the own to plug the car into the wall to charge it up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
I agree, Mike. any care that has to be plugged in is doomed to failure until an infrastructure is well in place (which, I believe, will never happen given our present form of government self interests). One thing that makes the railroads so efficient is the fact that there is almost no contact area between the wheels and the track reducing friction. Once the energy is expended to get the mass up to speed, very little is needed to maintain it. I guess also the NASCAR drafting syndrome plays a part in moving a long train. Try that on the interstate!!! When I was young and foolish, I did that on my motorcycle behind trucks. You could almost close the throttle and be sucked along (while you prayed he didn't hit the brakes!). Tire technology could take a giant step forward to reduce rolling resistance too. I saw an ad for a new 'gas saving' tire but when you do the math, it is more hype than actual help.

Mike Marlow wrote:

The main reason trains use this approach is to avoid the need for a clutch system capable of starting out heavy loads. This is basically the same as the hybrids currently in use. Yes, I think a diesel hybrid would have significant advantages over a gas hybrid, even with the greater weight of the diesel engine.
Matt
I never did understand why the hybrid people didn't use a small diesel for the ultimate efficiency since the 'overall' emissions would be quite low even with the diesel.

Getting the diesel past emission requirements is probably one reason. It may not be a smooth starting too, when the power is required, compared to gas, especially in cold climates. I have to think that they have considered it at some point.
If they looked at emissions per mile where the electric motor was doing the work part of the time, I would think emissions would be quite low. If you've ever driven a small turbo diesel in Europe, you would see how smooth and quick they are. Starting in the cold is no longer a problem. In fact, I believe they don't' even use glow plugs anymore. I had a diesel in Chicago for years and it started even at sub zero temps. Diesels are NOT your 'grandmother's diesels'. It's a whole new breed.

Dear Lazy Assed Top- Poster:
The UAW didn't make the decisons to design and manufacture shit cars.
The UAW didn't piss billions away on bad advertsing.
The UAW didn't buy private jets to fly to Congressional Hearings.
The UAW is not in bed with Saudis like the Bush family is.

--
"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in
England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after
Miles Monroe wrote:

I never said that the Republicans didn't play a role. I simply was point out the error in your statement.

So now it is Reagan rather than Bush. When will you find a lie that you like and will stick with?

I made no such attempt.
Matt

I didn't make an error. Educate yourself. You are only entitled to an informed opinion, not regurgitating right-wing talking points.

No, stupid, it was all three of them. (That's Reagan and both Bushes.) The Republican agenda of deregulation and greed is good, and fuck you I got mine.
Miles Monroe wrote:

Your statement that it was the fault of Bush and the Republicans is completely false. Any thinking person knows that and the data supports that the Democrats played a huge role staring back with the "New Deal." Read some history. It is very interesting.

First, it was Bush, then it was Reagan, now it is both. Do you have a 4th lie to share?
Matt

Yes, them Republickans are always shooting themselves in the foot, when they are aren't pretending to be Cheney. LOL.

But....Nancy's Astrologer said everthing would be OK!

AMEN! ;-)
--
"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in
England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after

Throw in a war to scam a pipline, complete with no-bid contracts and no end strategy.
--
"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in
England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after

The banks are paying back thier loans.
We all know how people like you just hate that.
--
"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in
England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after
Bill, once and for all, Obama didn't inherit anything from Bush!!! He inherited it from the Democratic Congress that was in control for the last two years of Bush's administration! The House approves appropriations and taxes, NOT the President. He inherited it from Nancy Pelosi!!! Get over it. Now they want us to read Miranda rights to terrorists captured in Iraq and Afghanistan! Would McCain have allowed that????? What has happened to all the Americans?????

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:52:12 -0400, 631grant wrote:

After asking Sara Palin? 'In a minute John dear, I'm busy choosing another outfit to wear'.