Dealer Oil Change

Page 1 of 2
I took my 2006 Sonata to the dealer this morning for the first oil change since I bought the car. Fortunately this was a freebie in that this was included when I bought the car, but the cost for the oil
change would have been $39.79 They also wanted to charge an additional $25 for a multi-point inspection to check the condition of belts, brakes, lights, hoses etc. which I refused to pay for. Have any of you had a similair experience with this type of pricing?
snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com wrote in news:1ej7529827d52e1c3uerr5n8j5ar5rmu82@ 4ax.com:

I bought a used 2005 Sonata GLS VE in Ithaca, NY in December 2005.
FWIW, for the first oil change, I called around for prices (as it had been while since I had a car).
The dealer charged $22.95 for oil changes with every sixth one free. This was the lowest price I could find.
Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur < snipped-for-privacy@llenroc.ude.invalid>
I took my 06 Sonata LX to my dealership which had signs posted everywhere saying "oil change $21.95" When I went to pay the bill was almost $40. After raising hell I still paid almost $40. Their reason was ....It is a 6 cyl.! and the filter cartridge is more expensive than a regular oil filter. They said signs were for 4 cyl. cars even though it was not on the signs. One more time..."Because it is a 6 cyl." what a bunch of crooks.

Just had our Sonata 06 6cyl done as well. We also thought that the oil change would be as advertised. However a close check on the fine print on the sales circular Hyundai sent out explains the gouging as something along the lines of "depending on how your vehicle is equipped"or something similar.........Doc Rob wrote:

I also had a free oil change coupon book, which they gave me $18 credit for. They did the 'required' 7500 mile service, which included rotating/balancing tires and adjusting the rear brakes (???). With 'shop supplies' and 'oil and grease' charges, it cost me about $75 for my free oil change. Not happy.

Its 39.95 at my dealer....the local 10 minute lube joint in town (19.95 most cars) doesn't yet stock the cannister filter element the v-6 takes. I believe the sonata v-6 also takes 7 qts. of oil.

Be careful about the oil filter. There's a tech service bulletin about the 'off brand' filters causing lifter noise because they don't have an internal pressure relief valve and starve the hydraulic lifters. The service manager said that a customer came in complaining of valve clatter and when they put it on the lift, it had an after market filter. They voided his warrantee! Put on a Hyundai filter and the clatter disappeared. Hard to believe.
Hyundai is very serious about doing what they recommend to protect the warrantee. Same with Kia.
Tom

was at the full mark.
snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com wrote:

The 2006 Sonata V6 uses 6 quarts of oil and a new (more expensive) canister-type oil filter, this is what makes that service more expensive than the old models. Given the additional cost of the materials, it is not reasonable to expect the dealer to do oil changes at the same price as the earlier models. (By the way, the "new" style oil filter is actually a throwback, I had a '64 Corvair with a canister filter and it was certainly not the earliest vehicle to be so equipped. Everything old is new again!)
I would not take a car to a "Jiffy Lube" type place in order to save money on oil changes, I've seen too many horror stories come out of those joints. (For example, some years ago a friend of mine took a new Subaru to her local Jiffy Lube for an oil change, where they proceeded to drain the automatic transmission fluid and blindly throw 4 additional quarts of oil into the engine. Needless to say, she did not get very far down the road and had to sue them for the damage.) A better choice would be to either take your car to the dealer, to a knowledgeable and trustworthy independent mechanic, or do it yourself.
In my case, our dealer has an excellent service department and has always been fair and treated us well when we had our 2000 Sonata, so we take our new Sonata to them for all servicing. I would rather spend a few extra bucks and know that the job is going to be done right, plus they routinely check for and take care of recalls and computer updates when the car is in.
On 30 Apr 2006 07:04:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@techie.com wrote:

There's no reason for the canister type filters to be more expensive than spin-on filters. In fact, they should be a little cheaper than spin-on's as the aftermarket filters come on line.
Nothing we can do about the 6 quart capacity. It makes it real expensive to use synthetic. I guess more oil capacity improves engine cooling slightly and perhaps makes the oil retains its lubricating properties a tad longer.
--
Bob

Somethings just come around again and again. My '54 Chevy had a canister type oil filter. Pain in the butt to change. Had to use a turkey baster to suck out the oil left in there. You old farts will remember them. :o)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:44:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com wrote:

Free oil change every 3500 from the dealer. Second time they wanted to know if I rotated the tires - said no but I would take care of it, end of coversation. Vision Hyundai, Rochester, NY.
DOes taking your car to a non-hyundai place void the warrenty? I have been taking my car to walmart for oil changes, and I have never had a problem with them! I also dont remember reading anywhere that using a non-hyundai oil filter will void the warrenty.. But it does say that use of hyundai transmission fluid is mandatory! I have had my 2002 accent for 4 years, and have 61k on it with out any issued, and using Walmart oil changes and what ever filter type they use
You are free to use whomever you would like to do your auto repairs. But your warranty will not cover poor workmanship on the part of the facility nor any non-hyundai parts. Hyundai has no control over those things.
'I took my 2006 Sonata to the dealer this morning for the first oil change since I bought the car. Fortunately this was a freebie in that this was included when I bought the car, but the cost for the oil change would have been $39.79 They also wanted to charge an additional $25 for a multi-point inspection to check the condition of belts, brakes, lights, hoses etc. which I refused to pay for. Have any of you had a similair experience with this type of pricing? '
REPLY: Dealers have an enormous overhead and charge accordingly. If you dont want to do the oil changes yourself which is always the best way...then take your car to Lube Pros or Jiffy Lube. Youll save about $10 on the oil change and theyll check belts,hoses, air filter, etc...for nothing.
On Mon, 1 May 2006 18:05:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

with the exception of the first oil change done at the dealer or if traveling out of town and the mileage between oil changes is getting too high. I am not familiar with Lube Pros but I have used Jiffy Lube once and will never go back. All of their fluids come out of the same nozzle, and in fact if your brake fluid is down they can't even top it off because of problems they had several years ago with the brake fluid being contaminated by mixing with other fluids. They also tried to sell me parts that were not needed (air filter, PCV, and even wiper blades) just to bring up the total sale.
<Marc> wrote in message (dave)

<snip> I am not familiar with Lube Pros but I have used Jiffy Lube

I agree whole heartedly about Jiffy Lube...very user unfriendly with slimy tactics. Its not cheap either as I recall.
I have, however, found a quick lube place here that is very good....10 minute turn around, 20 bucks, and no trying to sell unneeded stuff. They also have had the same help for years, which make me think the work environment is good. called "Pronto" Alas, not yet stocking the Hyundai filter (canister)
'but I have used Jiffy Lube once and will never go back. All of their fluids come out of the same nozzle, and in fact if your brake fluid is down they can't even top it off because of problems they had several years ago with the brake fluid being contaminated by mixing with other fluids. They also tried to sell me parts that were not needed (air filter, PCV, and even wiper blades) just to bring up the total sale. '
REPLY: Not all Jiffy Lubes are unethical. The one by me isnt bad at all, and , they use a variety of nozzles for thier fluids. You wont find many shops that WONT see if they can ring up a larger tab for you ; im okay with that 'if' its genuinely needed for my car. Id find a local shop before id go to a Hyundai Dealership for routine maintenance ; the last time i went to one....there were these mechanics walking around with these slick 'genuine Hyundai' jackets on with a real attitude. No thanks to that !
In my world, there is usually a place you can go that you can trust for MOST of your work besides the dealer (in my case, it is the local Firestone Total Car Care Center - great techs, excellent work, fair prices).
Most of those places also have a quick and inexpensive oil change. If you get to know a mechanic (or a garage full of them, as I have here), they will take good care of you. If I have service done there, usually they will give me a courtesy oil change at no extra charge (they may just be being nice to a man of the cloth, but I think here it is more than that).
Tom Wenndt

The 6cyl Sonata takes 6 qts, just like the owners manual says. The only place you can get filter for it is at the Hyundai dealer. I Paid 8.32 at my dealer for filter. later I bought 2 more on line from Hyunday Dealer in Spgfld Mass for 6.50 each with free shipping. I changed the oil myself using Wallyworld synthetic which cost $16.00..here's another little gem that is on its way: When I ordered the filters I asked about the fuel tank air filter that is supposed to be changed in the warranty cycle. Guess what.. you can't change it. he says you have to drop the tank to change it. that'll be really cheap,,yeah right!!