Dealership maintenance schedules a rip off?

I have an '03 Accent manual trans at 40,000 miles that runs great. I have it serviced at Terrible Herbst every 3mos/3,000 miles for oil change and fluid fill/check. At 30,000 miles I replaced the spark
plugs per the owner manual's scheduled maintenance (I keep detailed records).
I decided to have my latest oil change done at a dealership and have them also do a multipoint inspection, which showed everything was in the green. The dealerships have their own maintenance schedule per every x number of miles, some of which are extensive and expensive, but not listed in the actual owners manual maintenance schedule. I always figured these where just a rip off. The service manager put great emphasis on me coming back in for my 45,000 mile maintenance package to have this that and the other done. I said "sure thing" <wink>. Am I correct to avoid them during these dealer scheduled maintenance milestones? Now that the car is getting on in miles I want them to do the 3mo./3,000 routine, but that's all I want them to do, unless something is actually wrong. For instance, I got one other oil change + multi point inspection done at like 20,000 miles or so, and they decided that the (under warranty) battery needed to be replaced (live in very hot desert). I figure I've passed up probably an extra $1,000 worth of dealership scheduled maintenances done, and the car is, according to them, in 100% perfect condition.
Zed wrote:

Follow the schedule in the Maintenance Log that came with your car and you'll be fine. Unless your driving truly falls into the "extreme service" category, you're already wasting money by changing your oil more frequently than the Hyundai-recommended 7500 mile interval. Special dealer service packages that fall outside the factory maintenance schedule are designed for one thing, to make the dealer money. Avoid them.

7500? Huh? My manual says 3500 and I do follow that. 7500 doesn't sound right.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

It may depend on the particular model, but my Sonata is 7500 miles Many cars are 7500 for normal use, 3000 for severe use.
Severe use Conditions A - Repeated short distance driving B - Extensive idling C - Driving in dusty, rough roads D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather E - Driving in sandy areas F - More than 50% Driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90oF (32oC) G - Driving in mountainous areas H - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, or other commercial use I - Driving over 100 MPH (170 KM/H)
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

You might want to check your manual again (or better yet, the Maintenance Log) as AFAIK, every late-model Hyundai has the same 7500 mile oil change interval. It's also typical of most new cars.

I just looked, 3500.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

While the dealership and trained Hyundai techs can fix it much faster than guys from other shops, you do pay the premium for that speed. Let me put it to you this way, I am going to be replacing a lower right-rear control arm on my 02 Sonata. My dealer wants $400 for parts and labor to replace it. When I was in a Firestone getting new tires put on, I asked how much they charge: $167 parts and labor in total. It's a $90 part and takes 30 minutes to install! You do the math.
When I first had my Sonata, I was so brainwashed that if I didn't have the dealer do the maintenance, I was gonna go to Hell or void my warranty (or both). Now, the last thing I had done was my timing belt but I did buy my own part ($45 versus $125 from the dealership). A lot of places don't install parts if you bring them in but the dealer did but said "no warranty" if it failed. I was fine with it. Shop around for quotes and make sure it's a halfway reputable shop.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

It sounds like you just have a slimeball for a dealer. My local dealer sells parts at or below list and their repair prices are comparable to the local independent shops.
BTW, if the timing belt you gave them was an OEM belt, it IS covered under warranty, whether they say so or not.
Zed wrote:

Service writers at dealerships work for salary 'plus commission'
L.
> GUEST wrote: > I have an '03 Accent manual trans at 40,000 miles that runs great. I > have it serviced at Terrible Herbst every 3mos/3,000 miles for oil
> change and fluid fill/check. At 30,000 miles I replaced the spark > plugs per the owner manual's scheduled maintenance (I keep detailed > records). > > I decided to have my latest oil change done at a dealership and have > them also do a multipoint inspection, which showed everything was in > the green. > The dealerships have their own maintenance schedule per every x number > of miles, some of which are extensive and expensive, but not listed in > the actual owners manual maintenance schedule. I always figured these > where just a rip off. The service manager put great emphasis on me > coming back in for my 45,000 mile maintenance package to have this > that and the other done. I said "sure thing" <wink>. Am I correct to > avoid them during these dealer scheduled maintenance milestones? Now > that the car is getting on in miles I want them to do the 3mo./3,000 > routine, but that's all I want them to do, unless something is > actually wrong. For instance, I got one other oil change + multi point > inspection done at like 20,000 miles or so, and they decided that the
> (under warranty) battery needed to be replaced (live in very hot > desert). I figure I've passed up probably an extra $1,000 worth of > dealership scheduled maintenances done, and the car is, according to > them, in 100% perfect condition.
My 02 Sonata owner's manual and the factory service manual say 7500 miles between oil changes under "normal" driving conditions.
But you may be driving that Accent over 100 MPH most of the time so 3000 miles would be better. Also, please send me your personal data so I can buy a life insurance policy on you.
I have a trusted mechanic that does all my work that I do not want to do. He is much cheaper than the dealer and much, much more honest.
The dealer just quoted me around $200 to change the transmission fluid. So I bought $75 worth of that precious Hyundai fluid and changed it myself. The instructions are in the service manual. If anyone is interested in the procedure, let me know.