Default Cruise Control switch to 'on'?

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Sonata, and every time I start the car, if I want to use Cruise Control, I have to hit the Cruise Control switch by the light controls. Is there a way to have this 'default' to on?

Thanks :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

I am not aware of a way and suspect it is this way on purpose as a safety feature so that someone doesn't set the cruise by mistake.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

No. The default for every car maker is "off" as a safety device.

I should clarify. I'm sure there is a way if you want to spend enough time re-wiring the switch to a different circuit or bypassing it. It may take a couple of hours to figure it out and execute though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not a mechanic or electrical person, but shouldn't it be pretty easy to wire it to a always hot connection?

I was thinking the same for the headlights - would be nice to be able to have them on with the keys out of the ignition.

Reply to
Evan Platt

No. Now-a-days Cruise controls are electronic and use digital latching circuitry.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

? "Evan Platt" wrote

That idea went away after the '55 Chevy. Nothing is easy to wire on cars these days and a lot of stuff has to go through the computer to be switched.

Never had reason to do that as I can recall. Years ago, people used to leave headlights on frequently and killed the battery. Using the key eliminated that problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On a similar note.. I'll be having the stock stereo replaced shortly with a aftermarket stereo.

It should be easy for them to wire the stereo to always on, no? Right now the stereo turns off with the ignition.

Reply to
Evan Platt

You may want to find out if Hyundai used the radio in 2004 Sonata as part of the CAN BUS system. If so, then your car won't run without the original radio or a can bus adapter.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Oh man, isn't anything simple on the car :)

So I went to crutchfield, selected the stereo I have, selected my car

- I'd assume it would show something like a CAN BUS adapter ?

Do you know a car that for sure requires a can bus adapter and I can try and see if crutchfield adds it if I select the same stereo?

If it matters, the stock stereo Ihave is CD / tape.

I can also call the local Hyundai tomorrow...

I looked on Amazon / froogle, can't find a CAN BUS adapter. Could it be called something else? And are we talking like $20 or $100?

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

Should be less than $100. All GM's and most Fords use canbus. Odds are that your car does not include the radio in can bus. My 06 Kia Spectra does not. My car runs without the radio. However, call the dealer to make sure.

list is very incomplete.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

? "Evan Platt" wrote

Don't count on it. It may be possible, but some radios are integrated into the electrical system. If you are having a radio shop do the install, they probably know more than the dealer on that stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good news, car didn't need canbus adapter. Or at least I wasn't charged for it (I did a trade for the labor and paid for just the parts, and no adapter charged :)

Reply to
Evan Platt