DIAGNOSING BRAKE PROBLEMS ON 2002 ELANTRA

I have 72K on a 2002 Elantra. It is making a whistling noise, seemingly from the rear-sometimes when I apply the brakes..and disconcertingly, sometimes when I go off the brake.
It was doing these for a week or so when it got warm; now it seems to do it all the time I drive.
hyundaiigrorant

Some brake pads have wear indicators that make noise once the get to a certain low point. When you hear the noise you get your ass to a shop and have them replaced before the rotors are trashed. I think you should have them inspected by a competent mechanic.
Agree with the other poster. But please note that my son's 2002 Elantra also makes a whistle. His has turned out to be the A/C compressor, running when the setting is on either "hi-lo" or defrost. I know the A/C does run on those settings, but had never before noticed the whistle when he would be using the A/C in the Summertime.
Doubt this helps, but it is something I noticed.
Tom Wenndt