Diesel Injector Cleaner needed?

I,ve got a 2 litre Diesel Sonata 9 ( 3 previous petrol Sonatas) and dealer always heavily pushes Injector Cleaner at about $80 every service. At that price you would assume it,s something they pour in the tank rather than remove and replace. Never seen a petrol or diesel fuel supplier recommend it . Worth doing or something that benefits dealer more than vehicle owner? Ta John

Reply to
John

My dealer recommends it yearly for gas engines too. He charges $129.

Here are my thoughts. If you have a problem with injectors, it may be a few hundred dollars for a repair. BUT . . . . . .

I've owned two cars at a time with fuel injection since it has been the norm, replacing carburetors. I'm not sure what date that would been, but it is at least 20 years. In all that time, I've never needed an injector cleaning or repair. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nyet. Cost of repairs $0.00 so far.

Cost if I followed the dealer's recommendations for both my cars: 20 years x 2 cars x $129 = $5160.00.

I'd rather have the use of that $5160 rather than give it to a car dealer. Yes, I do change oil, air filters, check brakes, etc. but that is one type of service I think is just not needed. The cars I've driven had up to

200,000 miles with trouble free injectors, plus I had a diesel in the 80's with 185,000 miles with no injector problems.

Your money, your choice, but you can see my experience. Sure, it can happen, but $5160 is too steep a price for insurance. I'll take my chances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

John;

I agree with Ed. Here in the US we have additives that you throw in the tank at fill up. Every 10k miles, I use Lucas injector cleaner/upper cylinder lubricant in my wife's Sonata as well as my pickup. Just like Ed- no problems. All dealers (service departments) like to push this kind of thing on you. Heck, Wal-Mart's doing the same thing these days.

Just my $.02 worth...

Steve

[...]

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Reply to
Steve in AZ

Reply to
John