Does 2002 Sonata radio have an amp?

I've been given the radio (AM/FM, CD and tape player)out of a 2002 V6 Sonata. I got the wiring harness today so that I could hook it up to a power supply and speakers. To my surprise, the audio could barely be heard. Does this radio require an amp? If so, any idea of what one costs? Thank you.

Reply to
bee man

Some radios require amps and some do not. Do you have the radio model number from the top of the unit? I can probably find out with that info.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The model number is H - 290YFL The part # is 96190 - 3D100

There is a bar code on the side. The numbers on it are: WDA2102335 1008343 D91

If this radio does require an amp, is it also available via the aftermarket?

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated. bee man

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
bee man

The H290 is externally amped. You can check the schematics in the ETM section at

to see if you can garner some info about what your amp will need to do. I'd presume that any amp should work, but I'm not an audiophile and I've never looked into amps, so I could also be completely wrong on that count.

Reply to
hyundaitech

do you know if the H260 is externally amped?

Reply to
Wooti

H260 is not externally amplified.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
bee man

Thank you. I'm still looking at replacing my stereo with an aftermarket one supporting mp3 cds. My problem is I don't want to

-lose- any quality. I can't imagine the stock unit cost a fortune.

Does anyone know of a

Reply to
Wooti