Doing My Own Oil Changes

Planning on doing my own oil changes on a recently purchased 2009 Sonata V6.
Any words of wisdom from the group on:
what I need to do to maintain my warranty?
any filter brands to avoid?
Seems straight forward but are there any things I should look out for?
TIA,
Larry
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry W wrote:

Avoid Fram, at least the low-end Fram filters. I'm also leery of brands such as Wal-Mart's "Tech." Do a search on oil changes and you will find a lot of information.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Voyager wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know exactly what it is about Fram that people do not like? This filter is very simple, just a cylinder of filter material.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry W wrote:

Do a Google. There are a few folks who have torn down and inspected a number of filter brands. The insides of the cheap Fram filters are really cheap. Things such as less filter media than better brands, cardboard end plates rather than metal (although I'm not convinced that this is so bad since the filter media is paper-based also), el cheapo anti-drainback valve that often leaks (this IS very bad), etc.
If you think an oil filter is just a cylinder of paper, you may not know enough about engines to be doing your own maintenance work.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Voyager wrote:

Filter for the v6 is a cartridge type and truly is a cylinder of filter media with 2 plastic end caps. Picture of filter is at:
http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=CH9999
Assuming the dimensions are correct the only problem area would be the filter media, too little or lets too large particles through. Visual comparison of a Fram filter to Purolator and NAPA equivalents show no obvious difference in the filter media. There are no cardboard pieces or anti-drainback valves to worry about.
Google search has such a variety of opinions that do not help me reach a conclusion I can believe in.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry W wrote:

I missed that you had the V-6. If Fram cuts corners in their spin-on filters, why do you think they use a different philosophy in their cartridge filters? However, it is your car so buy what you want. If you didn't plan to take anyone's advice here, why did you waste our time asking for it?
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I buy 10 filters at a time and get Hyundai filters just as cheap as aftermarket filters https://www.hyundaipartsonline.com/index.php
Striker

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Only thing you have to do is use the proper oil as called for by the manual.
I've bought filters from the dealer for the same price at the local auto parts store because there is a limited selection for the Sonata. They also give me a new washer for the drain plug so it may be replaced at each change. By saving the dealer receipts, it is also evidence of change if documentation would ever be needed under the warranty.
I change every 7500 miles per the manual for my type of driving. No oil use between changes yet either. One more thing, you say it is straightforward. You do know the filter is on top I assume? Open a free account of www.hmaservice.com and get the diagram of the location and instructions.
You'll like the performance from the V-6 too. Very good acceleration.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks for the response. I know the filter is on top, that's what makes the job easier, no lying on my back under a car removing and replacing a filter I cannot see in a hard to access area.
Was going to buy a 4cyl Sonata but a test drive in the V6 changed my mind.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry W wrote:

I prefer Purolator Pure One. Google oil filter ratings or comparison and you see why there is a difference between Fram and others as well.
I've usually found the hyundai forum http://www.hyundai-forums.com more useful than hmaservice.com YMMV. This I found there: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/misc.htm which lead to this: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/diy_oil_change.pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
SB wrote:

PS. I should add that the Purolator Pure One is not available yet for the '09 Sonata 6 cyl, however the regular Purolator cartridge is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.