Don't take your car to Mr. Transmission

Page 2 of 2

The only problem is that there is a binding arbitration clause in the repair contract located in the small print. However, I am fortunate to be living in Georgia as the courts here tend to make this non-enforceable. I feel that I need help from an attorney to avoid any pitfalls. Of course the cost of the attorney will be added to my settlement.
Mr. Transmission Sucks
--
http://mrtransmissionsucks.com

To email me remove the NOSPAM in my email address
Andrew wrote:

What's wrong with going to arbitration? It's cheaper, faster and if you have witnesses/afadavits and other evidence, it should be a slam-dunk. You may not get your attorneys fees if you take it to court.

See: http://www.autoissues.org/arbitration_faq.htm
--
http://mrtransmissionsucks.com

To email me remove the NOSPAM in my email address
Andrew wrote:

for. What are the particulars of YOUR contract? Why not go to voluntary arbitration rather than court? All that autoissues.org point out is that you need to be careful before agreeing to mandatory binding arbitration. They specifically state that there is nothing inherently wrong in arbitration as an alternative to the courts.
'I had to take my car to the dealership after they were finished with it. Not only did I fork out over $3000 to get it fixed but I had to pay another $2000 for the dealer to fix it after they were done. Mr. Transmission Sucks'
REPLY: DOnt take your car to AAMCO Transmission Co. either (if they are still around). I learned they put thier Office personnel thru ' in house sales training courses' to promote rebuilding the transmission or selling a new one after the car is testdriven . I took a car there once , and it ended up being a Modulator Control that was needed -- AAMCO wanted to rebuild the transmission . Thieves.
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

treatment of Mr. Transmission. As I wrote above:
"I've had work done by a local AAMCO guy who's been completely trustworthy. The rebuild they did on my Excel transmission lasted 115K miles, which is impressive when you consider that the orignal only lasted 64K. He's even told me when he didn't think that work was worth it on another car. He's good, he cares about his customers and the quality of the work his people turn out. These are the reasons that he's been in business at the same location for 20-something years. I refer people to him all the time.
OTOH, I've heard horror stories about other AAMCO stores. It's not the name on the building, it's the guys that work there that count."
My local AAMCO guy is as good as gold. It's a shame that yours isn't, but that's the fault of the personnel.
I once worked for a guy in the muffler biz and I watched him train and incentivise his employees to rip off customers (he called it "selling jobs"). Between his dishonesty and his cocaine habit, he didn't last long. Sales training can be beneficial in that in can help technicians to explain work to customers in a manner they can understand, but taken to an extreme (as above), it's wrong. Again, it's the people that make the difference and that's true no matter what the name of the business is.

After this experience, I'm going to avoid all chains as I'm getting the picture of franchise owners hungry to get a return on their investments. It is better to deal with the small folks who make a living off of word of mouth or a dealership.
Mr. Transmission takes the cake though in transmission repairs. They state a nationwide warranty on their website but when you look at their locations, they are only located in 21 states in America. They also state they have the best warranty in the business but I do not see them offering a lifetime warranty like Aamco does.
--
Mr. Transmission Sucks!
http://mrtransmissionsucks.com
Andrew wrote:

A lot of franchise stores ARE small folks. My local AAMCO store is a three man operation and the same three guys have been there for at least 10 years. They work hard, do good work and charge fair prices. His reputation is flawless and deservedly so. He gets a lot of business via word of mouth. The fact that he's a franchise store doesn't change that.
It's amazing that you try to tell me that I don't understand the franchise business, but you make statements like this. Contrary to your belief, there is nothing inherently evil about franchising. What do you think most gas stations are? Most coffee and donut shops? Most restaurants? Most convenience stores? The list is endless. We all deal with franchise stores all the time and in most cases, they're fine. As with any industry, there are inevitably bad apples, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Do they offer the same warranty through all their stores? If so, that's technically "nationwide". The fact that they don't have stores in all 50 states is irrelevent. Perhaps they have plans to get there, but they can't force people to open stores.

Then you have an issue. Since you're already on a crusade, why don't you see if you can get the FTC to force them to remove that claim?