Door lock not working

One of the rear door locks stopped working on my 2006 Sonata. Since my closest dealer is now 90 miles away, I was wondering if this is a common problem where a linkage comes loose or solenoids burn out. The linkage I could deal with but, of course, the solenoid would require the trek to the dealer. I had a Dodge Intrepid that had 3 solenoids fail within a year so I'm used to that problem. The biggest complaint is that if the door is unlocked, when you get out you can't lock the doors remotely.

Thanks

Reply to
631grant

I have not had any similar problems with my 06. In the past, I've both hit the salvage yards for solenoids, and gone the dealer route. It's also somewhat likely that NAPA might carry an aftermarket version. I've historically had good luck with salvage yard parts like this, so it might be worth the shot. Certainly a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Mike, that's probably what I'll do to avoid the trip to the dealer. Just have to figure out if there are any Korean secrets in getting the door skin off.

Reply to
631grant

After trying the suggested tests, here's what I found. Sitting inside the car with the back door unlocked, I hit the lock button on the key fob and three doors lock but the right rear does not. It moves a little and then nothing. Each time I hit Lock, I hear the relay calling for the doors to lock, but I feel absolutely nothing when I put my hand on the suspect door. If I push the lock lever to the locked position, the relay no longer clicks and the lights then flash indicating all doors are locked. They do NOT flash until the 'bad' door is locked. Then when I hit Unlock, I hear the relay and the three good doors unlock but not the bad one. Again I feel nothing when touching the door. If I manually unlock it, the relay stops clicking and the lights flash. I wiggled the wires at the door but have not removed the boot and inspected them yet.

Reply to
631grant

This is enough to tell me you need a latch. If there were some sort of electrical issue with the wiring, you wouldn't be able to feel it move at all.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks HT. I guess I'll give my Kia dealer a call and see if they will do warrantee work on a Hyundai. It would save a lot of driving and waiting. Worth a try.

This is enough to tell me you need a latch. If there were some sort of electrical issue with the wiring, you wouldn't be able to feel it move at all.

Reply to
631grant

No dice, unless they're okay with doing work and not getting paid for it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Really? Darn. I thought they took care of each other.