Door locked by itself - 2007 Sonata

Page 1 of 3
Today when I stopped to get gas, my door locked by itself. Luckily I had a spare key in my wallet. The key was still in the ignition(turned off).
After I got back in, I checked the key - it was a fraction of an inch pulled out. I had not pulled on it when I turned the engine off. All I touched when I got out of the car was the gas cap button. My wife has complained that this has happened to her before also. As it turned out, I had an appointment later in the day with the dealer to get an oil change. I told them about it and they later told me that they could not find anything wrong. I got the distinct feeling that I was been blown off. They also said that its the first they have heard of that occurring.. In my opinion there are two problems here, 1) why did it lock in the first place. 2) Why did it lock with the key in the ignition. I explained that on my 2003 Sonata that I had to pull the key out about 3/4 of the way to make it think the key was out (when you are working on something with the door opened it ding-dongs all the time with the key in), with the 2007 its only that fraction of an inch. I think that its not correct for it to it to be that sensitive. Has any one else had this problem? Has anyone's wife complained about this problem and you assumed she messed up? Maybe you should have listened to her. At this point I am a little leery of this car, not sure what to do except put a hide a key someplace on the car for a backup.

Partner wrote:

That's a new 'Feature', to teach people "NOT to leave the keys on the ignition when they get out of the car. This is a major NO-NO, so Hyundai is helping their customers. ;-)

No - you've got it wrong. It's no major NO-NO to leave your keys in the car for such things as filling up the tank. That's only for the foolish people of the world. It's really the Korean version of a joke. Different sort of sense of humor and all...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

One could say a different slant on humour perhaps
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060104080404080108010406 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mike Marlow wrote:

--------------060104080404080108010406--

Well, not really. We're not talking about walking away from a running car here. We're talking about getting out to gas the thing up.
--

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010402070701010300050706 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mike Marlow wrote:

No - you've got it wrong. It's no major NO-NO to leave your keys in the car for such things as filling up the tank. That's only for the foolish people of the world. It's really the Korean version of a joke. Different sort of sense of humor and all...
No, is not a joke, I wish it was, if you live in a little town, like the one I was born in, yeah, but things had changed, and not for the good.
--------------010402070701010300050706--

Oh well - if you want to go jumping at shadows because a cartoon dog tells you to, then just go ahead.
--

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070507090000030607060701 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Mike Marlow wrote:

--------------070507090000030607060701--

Like everything else - it somewhat depends on where you are. Many people do not live in high crime areas and just do not have to worry about such things. Many people extrapolate from anecdotal incidents that happen in high crime areas and attempt to apply them universally. Though I have no doubt some things have happened in these areas, I don't for a moment believe they are universally the case, even in areas throughout Miami, Tampa and Orlando. I have traveled to these areas and I know from firsthand experience that none of these experience problems at gas stations as described in the cartoon dog comments, throughout their respective regions. I certainly believe they can happen, but so can a heart attack.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You guys need to move to Jersey. We're not even supposed to get out of the car here. It's ILLEGAL to pump my own gas, although I always do it anyway. I even leave the kids AND the keys in the car sometimes.
Eric

Every time I drive into Jersey I get bit by this. Being a NY'er, it's just commonplace for us to jump out and fill'er up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
wrote in message

LOL. Yeah, the first time we drove to VA, many years ago, to see some family, I sat there for about 3 minutes before I realized I was supposed to do all this work myself :-)
They actually had a sing that siad "No Drive Offs". I assume that meant you weren't supposed to leave without paying. Duh.
Eric
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:57:43 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Oregon has a ban on fill it yourself, you can get out of the car, though.
wrote in message >

I thought Oregon repealed that just a few years ago? Well, no matter, I was being facitious about getting out of the car in NJ though. You CAN get out, just don't touch the pump.

Now THAT has possibilities.

Yeah, I was hoping someone with kids would pick up on that :-)
Eric
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:24:52 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

This reminds me of my father in law. He lives in a very rural area, while we live in the BIG city. He came down and we had to go to K-Mart. We were getting out of the car and I noticed he left the keys in his car. When I mentioned to him that he might want to take his key out and lock the car up, his response to me was " What if someone needs to move it?" I actually LMAO!
Brian

It's still that way in my parts. Well, not everywhere, but in most places. Locks are mostly a nuisance, but are being used more and more. -
Bob
Where's you FIL live? I'd like to move there.
When I was a kid in rural western Wisconsin all the relatives used to leave their homes unlocked if they were away for less than a day or so. If you visited, and they weren't home, you could leave a note saying you'd see them later or whatever.
Unfortunately they don't (can't?) do that anymore. And the politicians tell you America's best days are still ahead of us if you elect them. Yeah, right.