Driving with Adaptive Cruise Control

Self driving cars are not far away and you can get a preview on most cars today.
Most cars now offer the option on adaptive cruise control, auto
emergency braking, etc. I've had it now for the past six months on my Genesis but you can get it on other models, other brands. It sure makes driving easier.
This past long weekend my wife and I took a 600 mile road trip through NY state, Vermont, New Hampshire and used the secondary roads as much as possible. Some of the roads were up and down hills, twisty, and speed limits varied from 35 to 55 along the way. Traffic was light, but I'd often be behind another car. I'd set the cruise control for the highest speed and let my car follow the one ahead.
On some stretches I'd go up to 20 miles and not have to touch the gas or brake pedals. I'd just follow the car ahead and it maintained a safe speed and distance between us. Even stopping at traffic lights and going through a town where traffic caused a lot of speed changes. If sure makes driving safe and less tiring.
If you are thinking about a new car, this is one optionyou want to have.

Yep, adaptive cruise, Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking...I want it all. Hopefully these safety features will be adopted industry wide and eventually become standard instead of being optional (read "expensive") add-ons. Still, sometimes it's worth paying more and being an early adopter.
On 5/8/2016 10:14 AM, Victek wrote:

The AEB will be standard in a few years. Auto makers agreed on a standard and it will be on 99% of cars by 2022. My car has it but I'm not going to try slamming into a car to see if it works.
What car do you have? I have a Genesis and agree with your sentiments.
--
cheers,

Nick

"Ed Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
On 7/16/2016 6:56 AM, nick wrote:

Genesis with Ultra package.
One thing Genesis does is knock it off cruise control if you take your hands off the steering wheel too long. Tesla does not. That is why the idiot on the two lane got into a crash as he ignored the warning, but the car kept going.

This is what I mentioned. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/consumer-reports-tesla-drop-autopilot-40573624 Earlier this week Tesla disclosed that a Model X SUV crashed early Saturday in Montana while the driver was using the autosteer feature on a two-lane road, which is not recommended by the company. Tesla, which gets information from its cars over the internet, said the car warned the driver at least once to place his hands on the steering wheel before it crashed.
I do fault Tesla for part of this. If the software knows to tell you to not use the function is can also have the capability to just back off the throttle and stop the car if you don't take manual control. Genesis Lane Keep Assist will go of auto if you take your hands of too long.

I've not taken my hands off for too long, just to try it out, so I am not aware the systems will switch off, but when I get the warning maeessage, I replace hands. How does it know if my hands are on the wheel, I wonder? I appreciate these features are as named, that is 'assisit' :o)
--
cheers,

Nick