E85... can I use it (safely) in my Hyundai?

I just heard a radio commertial saying E85 is now 30 to 60 cents a gallon cheeper than regular gasoline here in Minnesota, and its available at a fair
number of service stations in my area. Can E85 be used in Hyundai's and in particular a 2002 XG350? If not, is there a level of ethonol that is acceptable? If so, does it do anything to the warrenty? If it can be used, I want to do it now while I'm still under warrenty.
Thanks - Dan
What is E85?

15% Gasoline / 85% ethanol As Per my manual
Hyundai Elantras sold in the US are not compatible with E85
However they will run on 90% Gasoline / 10% ethanol Which is the standard down-state NY Gas Mixture, Since they banned MBTE in NYS. Both are used as oxygenate to combat smog & other pollution. You will get fewer MPG when using either ethanol blend.
size=2>...<BR>&gt;&gt;I just heard a radio commertial saying E85 is now 30 to 60 cents a gallon<BR>&gt;&gt; cheeper than regular gasoline here in Minnesota, and its available at a <BR>&gt;&gt; fair<BR>&gt;&gt; number of service stations in my area.&nbsp; Can E85 be used in Hyundai's and <BR>&gt;&gt; in<BR>&gt;&gt; particular a 2002 XG350?&nbsp; If not, is there a level of ethonol that is<BR>&gt;&gt; acceptable?&nbsp; If so, does it do anything to the warrenty?&nbsp; If it can be <BR>&gt;&gt; used,<BR>&gt;&gt; I want to do it now while I'm still under warrenty.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Thanks - Dan<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:35:55 -0400, Heckle staggered into the Black Sun and said:

Hyundai's what? ('s is a possessive marker, not a plural marker.)

I doubt it could be used without engine modifications. If the engine isn't designed to run on an 85% ethanol / 15% gasoline mixture, it won't perform very well at all, and the unsuitable fuel might cause expensive damage to hoses and engine parts. The engine and ECM in the XG350 expect gasoline IIRC. You might want to grep your owner's manual for "FFV" though, just in case.

See above. Also, http://www.e85fuel.com/faqs/ , one of the first 5 hits when you Google://"E85" . HTH,
--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Hire me! http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume /

No, E85 is not a suitable fuel for the XG. FWIW, cars that are manufactured to run on E85 will get far less MPG on the E85 than on regular gasoline so the 30-60 cents a gallon is not the price break one might be inclined to expect.
Several years ago I drove a company car that was a "flexible fuel" vehicle and compared the fuel mileage using the regular gasoline and the 85% alcohol fuel. That vehicle gave me 20MPG on regular gasoline and 13MPG on the 85% alcohol fuel.
Old_Timer