E85... can I use it (safely) in my Hyundai?

I just heard a radio commertial saying E85 is now 30 to 60 cents a gallon cheeper than regular gasoline here in Minnesota, and its available at a fair number of service stations in my area. Can E85 be used in Hyundai's and in particular a 2002 XG350? If not, is there a level of ethonol that is acceptable? If so, does it do anything to the warrenty? If it can be used, I want to do it now while I'm still under warrenty.

Thanks - Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Heckle
15% Gasoline / 85% ethanol As Per my manual

Hyundai Elantras sold in the US are not compatible with E85

However they will run on 90% Gasoline / 10% ethanol Which is the standard down-state NY Gas Mixture, Since they banned MBTE in NYS. Both are used as oxygenate to combat smog & other pollution. You will get fewer MPG when using either ethanol blend.

Reply to
Andrew Cripps

Hyundai's what? ('s is a possessive marker, not a plural marker.)

I doubt it could be used without engine modifications. If the engine isn't designed to run on an 85% ethanol / 15% gasoline mixture, it won't perform very well at all, and the unsuitable fuel might cause expensive damage to hoses and engine parts. The engine and ECM in the XG350 expect gasoline IIRC. You might want to grep your owner's manual for "FFV" though, just in case.

See above. Also,

, one of the first 5hits when you Google://"E85" . HTH,

Reply to
Dances With Crows

No, E85 is not a suitable fuel for the XG. FWIW, cars that are manufactured to run on E85 will get far less MPG on the E85 than on regular gasoline so the 30-60 cents a gallon is not the price break one might be inclined to expect.

Several years ago I drove a company car that was a "flexible fuel" vehicle and compared the fuel mileage using the regular gasoline and the 85% alcohol fuel. That vehicle gave me 20MPG on regular gasoline and 13MPG on the 85% alcohol fuel.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer