ECO Does Make a Difference

During last summer when gas prices went out of sight, I engaged the ECO (economy) setting on my 2013 Elantra GLS. It certainly did save me some gas, and I was happy with the performance.
Well, since then, gas prices have dropped somewhat and I can afford to turn the ECO off. Having done so, the Elantra is driving like it has a super 6 cylinder motor in it, whereas with the ECO system engaged, it felt more like a 4 cylinder engine.
I drive mostly in the city on short hauls and although I'm finding the gas economy is not as good, the smoothness and power from the engine more than makes up for the cost difference.
On saying that, if the cost of gas goes up to $1.36/litre (I live in Toronto), I will once again, use the ECO and live with the performance difference. Money = Power. What else is new?
--
Arthur Alspector

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to try it again just to see what happens. I saw very little difference in mileage, but I did not like the way it changed the shift points. That was a year ago so maybe I'll feel different about it this time around.
I have not checked the actual consumption rate but ECO does seem to improve mileage in Urban type driving. I don't think it makes any difference at highway speeds.