Either Hybrid or loads better gas mileage

as my 2002 Sante Fe is getting closer to trade in time, I am looking for Hyundai to release a 40 MPG City minimum car soon. With gas prices going up & up as well as heating going thru the roof, I am looking for
better mileage.
I've seen press releases such as 2003 Tucson was fleet as a bybrid but never for customer purchases. I even called Hyundai USA to ask & offer my car to have the engine installed for $750.00.............. love my car, but 20 mpg city hurts...... (but I did get $1.72/gal price this week since my grocer now has service pumps that you get $.10 off for every $50 purchase. Then Sam's without a Walmart has great prices for members too. (The Walmart ones just match the nighborhood's prices & give $.05 off for members).