elantra 1998 power steering squeal

I have a power steering squeal that seems to burn the belts (actually stops them from turning) when I turn the steering wheel. I had a new power steering unit installed and it still squeals, although it seems to be
better when I,m driving the car. When the car is idling the alternator belt and power steering belt will get very hot and smoke.
Thank you..
daveb5 wrote:

I'm not familiar with the 98 Elantra in particular, but does it have a single serpentine belt or multiple v-belts? Typically, what you describe has one of two likely causes:
1. The most common cause is a loose belt due to a faulty tensioner, or a belt that needs adjustment if we're talking the old-style v-belts.
2. A bearing going bad on one of the accessories being turned, the alternator or the power steering pump. Since you just replaced the power steering pump, that would shift suspicion to the alternator, or if you have AC, the AC compressor.
How old is the belt or belts? If they are more than 5 years old, they probably have age hardened and should be replaced.
Matt
In most cases, the alternator belt is loose. I've also seen this when the alternator or water pump bearings are going bad.
Thanks to all who replied... It was the belts. Adjusted them and the squeal was gone...:\
I can,t seem to remove the fuel filter. Is there an easy way to remove it. Thanks in advance.....
When I put my elantra into drive it bogs down and barely goes forward/reverse, but then kicks in and goes forward but still bucks. The engine runs fine in park and neutral (sounds normal), but as soon as I put into gear it bogs down and bucks. Any ideas:?? Thank you....