Elantra air conditioning and cooling system problem

Recently my air conditioning stopped working; either it would quit after five minutes, or it wouldn't come on at all. The light on the switch turns on, but the compressor doesn't engage. I'm also noticing that the
engine is running a little hot and both fans are running (normally only one fan runs unless the air is on). The radiator is full and not leaking. Any ideas about what's wrong will be appreciated :-)

First thing I'd check is to see if the system has refrigerant. There is a pressure switch that prevents the compressor from running if the charge is low.
To check is a simple thing to do if you have the proper gauges and know how to attach them. In the US, you have to be licensed to work on refrigeration. You may want to take it to a shop that does that sort of work.
You do not indicate the age of the car, but after five years, this is a fairly common problem with auto AC. They are subject to a lot of bouncing around compared to your home units.
On 12/1/2014 2:49 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

worked perfectly until now. I'm taking it in today. I just wondered if it sounded like the two issues were related (air not working and engine running hotter).
On Monday, December 1, 2014 9:15:40 AM UTC-5, Victek wrote:

They're probably related. The ECM disables air conditioning when the engine is overheating. Consider having the car towed. Too much overheating of this engine will cost a cylinder head.
On 12/1/2014 9:58 AM, hyundaitech wrote:

mild and I'm pretty sure I didn't wait too long (but I'll know soon).
In typed:

Let us know what you find out. Just curious..., is the "shop" a Hyundai dealership?
On 12/1/2014 12:39 PM, TomR wrote:

closed position which caused the overheating. Now that there's a new, working thermostat the AC is back to normal. Thanks to everyone who replied.
In typed:

Excellent. An easy fix. Thanks for providing the follow-up information.